DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Intrumentals or Syrian songs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/93049-intrumentals-syrian-songs.html)

Heather Darling May 2nd, 2007 06:46 PM

Intrumentals or Syrian songs?

Anyone know of any good instrumental music? I'm looking for something really powerful. I started searching movie soundtracks & scores but that was taking forever!!!

I shot a Syrian wedding last November and am getting nowhere getting the songs from the bride & groom so I can begin editing. After contacting them several times I figured that I would just pick the music myself. So I'm looking for a few great instrumentals for the open/bridal prep. Or if anyone knows of any good Syrian songs or instrumentals that would work let me know.

Thanks!

Travis Cossel May 2nd, 2007 06:50 PM

I can't help you with finding the songs, but I did want to caution you against just picking the songs yourself. If your contract states that the B&G get to pick the music and/or they don't know that you're now planning on picking it, that could be trouble. Even if they know, I would suggest getting them to email you that it's okay to avoid any trouble down the line.

Wish I could help with the music, but I just usually search iTunes.

Heather Darling May 2nd, 2007 07:04 PM

Thanks Travis. I tell all my b&g's when I meet with them that I will try to use the songs that they've selected, but if I find that 1 or all or their songs don't fit well with the video then I will pick the songs myself. I normally end up using 2 of the b&g's songs in the video and 2-3 songs that I pick. As of yet I haven't had anyone complain about the songs I choose. I pay close attention also to what they play at the reception to get an idea of their musical tastes. The DJ gave me a CD of some of the Syrian songs they gave him to play at the reception but they are more upbeat and don't fit the slower, romantic feeling of the bridal prep or post-ceremony footage.

I don't think that they will have a problem with me picking the songs. I believe they will just be extremely happy to have their video and to not have to do any work picking the music.

Peter Jefferson May 2nd, 2007 07:07 PM

got lots.. 13% of my clientelle ara Arabic, most Persian (ie Iranian but dont wanna admit it) or Afghan
I also do Lebanese and Asyrian, BUT theres a fundamental difference you MUST take note of..

Best thing to do is work out what faith they are, they may be Ba'hai, christian or Muslim, so make sure you KNOW what faith they are before hand.
ASK THEM.. evenif you feel embarressed to do so, this is one element you dont wanna fekk up.

Another option is to ask the client for the music directly, which is what I do. I dont understand a word of it (all arabic to me) but to them, it makes a difference.

as for dramatics, be ready for Bollywood flavoured tunage...as for getting nowhere and picking the music for them.. DONT
trust me, they will want to change it...
You gotta understand that many cultures dont like the idea of being powerless when it comes to life decisions like this.
What i would recomend woudl be to call or email them and advise that if they
"do not provide music, you will use your discretion which may or may not be to their liking, in turn however, this music or edit selection will not be made available for change once competed. "

Tell them that if yo udo not recieve a response in ten days, work will continue as you do not wish for them or any other client to be at a disadvantage

I on the other hand prefer they trake their time as i can fit other jobs in between their own.
If they want it fast they get me the music fast.. its that simple

I no longer make the decision on music unless i have that in writing
Its in