Recording a proposal in a public place at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 7th, 2007, 09:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Recording a proposal in a public place

I apologize that I only did a quick search, but the details around this situation are rather specific.

The following is parts of an e-mail I just received.

Quote:
I would like to know if you're available for a video service for a duration of 1-2 hours (around lunch time) on (date) and at what cost. Here is what I have in mind for that day:

I would like to propose to my girlfriend at the (place - without giving out too many details it is an animal conservatory) in (city). I would like to capture the moment when I propose to her. The scenario could happen like this, you are already at the conservatory when we arrive. You would be filming a couple's special for the conservatory and ask if you'd be able to interview us, we agree, then you tell us to go to a certain areas where it has good scenery. This is where I start telling her how I feel and pop the question. It would be amazing if all that was captured along with her reaction on video.
I'm trying to decide if this would be worth my while to take on. It is certainly a good idea on his part, but before I commit myself to anything I want to consider all the hurdles that can get in my way.

At this point, as long as I can coordinate the arrival of the couple so that I'm not waiting for four hours with my gear, and as long as I clear everything with the venue, I think the project is doable. But I feel like I'm going to come to terms with the client and then find some huge roadblock I didn't think of.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is there anything else I should consider that I haven't thought of? Is it really as simple as clearing the idea with the venue? Should I get some sort of release signed by the venue saying that I can shoot there? Have you read this posting and then thought, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, but what about X?"

In other words, any sort of things to watch out for would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
Have you read this posting and then thought, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, but what about X?"
Ummm, there is that possibility that the girl will say no. That could be awkward. Or, she'll feel pressured into saying yes because there is a camera pointed at her when that's not her true desire.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Major Player

I did think of that yes, but I figure that if she says "No" I have good footage for You Tube (kidding, kidding...)

But I figure it's like proposing at a baseball game or any other situation where there is a proposal in front of a group of people. I wouldn't put my hopeful fiance-to-be through the pressure of saying "yes" because she's being broadcast live on ESPN, but it works for other people.

Has anyone else shot proposals before?
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Still Motion

I would shoot it for sure. I think it is the groom's call if he wants to have the camera there. I would charge a higher rate for the added stress and acting involved on your part.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Ummm, there is that possibility that the girl will say no. That could be awkward. Or, she'll feel pressured into saying yes because there is a camera pointed at her when that's not her true desire.

-gb-
Get your money upfront! hehehe

Joe
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Trustee

I did just this to my now wife.

I actually had a video guy and photo guy follow my soon to be bride around on a treasure hunt through the city (in the same car and everything) before meeting her at the destination.

Of course in her case she knew it was coming but just didn't know when. Great footage. One of these days I'll post that 15 minute movie I showed at our wedding.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques