DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Name that song!!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/93851-name-song.html)

Terry Esslinger May 11th, 2007 10:03 PM

Name that song!!?

On the show CLOSE TO HOME friday night they closed the show with a very haunting song. I have heard it several times lately but not sure where. The word that is most noticeable in the song is hallelujah . Does anyone know thw name and artist in that song?
Thanks

Eric Gan May 12th, 2007 12:56 AM

I've never seen the show, but based solely from your description, I would say it's Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley. It's been used on countless TV shows...I think the O.C. was the first to use it, but I can't be sure. Ooops...I just admitted to watching the O.C. Run and cover in shame.

Terry Esslinger May 12th, 2007 12:34 PM

Eric,
Thank you, you hit it on the head. I also 'was forced' to watch OC with my wife. Show died when Marissa died.

Colby Knight May 13th, 2007 01:36 PM

If there's a song or music you can't identify, try Tunatic (sp?).

Don Bloom May 13th, 2007 03:36 PM

BTW The song in question has had lots of air play. On West Wing in I believe season 4 maybe 5 for an episode and most notably the movie Shrek. It was also covered recently by a female artist on another TV show although right now the names of both escape me. A great tune too bad it's not really wedding appropriate
;-) Of course a lot of tunes aren't but get used anyway so there is hope.

Don

Terry Esslinger May 13th, 2007 03:51 PM

Best version I found was by 'Over the Rhine' Name of song 'Halleluja'
Kind of a love gone wrong theme. Great song but MAY NOT be suitable for most weddings:>)

Greg Bellotte May 14th, 2007 01:28 PM

"Hallelujah" by Allison Crouse

Duncan Craig May 15th, 2007 11:12 AM

Just to say there's an Imogen Heap version too.
It is the version used in the OC apparently?!

She lurvvly too. I'm off for a lie down in a dark room.

James Klatt May 15th, 2007 01:51 PM

The songs has many incarnations. It was penned by Leonard Cohen. John Cale, of Velvet Underground 'lore, covered it and made it closer to the version that Buckley covered later. Many artists have followed suit since it is such a powerful song.
You cannot beat Jeff Buckley's interpretation, though. Even Cohen agrees...he never played it again saying, that after he heard Buckley's cover, the song was no longer his. That's a high compliment from a man who is a deity, in my opinion.
I have never used it for any wedding stuff, not to say I haven't tried. It is a deep and dark hymn that is about loss and memory of love. A lot of people try to turn it into a sweet love song, but it is quite the opposite. The subject of the song has been jilted by his lover, and left with the fragments. A common Cohen subject. I cannot ignore this when I am trying to fuse it with wedding visuals. Doesn't seem to fit for me.

"Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah"

and

"Now maybe there's a God above
But all I ever learned from love
Is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
It's not a complaint that you hear tonight
It's not someone who's seen the light
It's a cold and lonely Hallelujah
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah"