DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   SDE + Lotsa 35mm goodness (letus) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/94365-sde-lotsa-35mm-goodness-letus.html)

Jason Magbanua May 18th, 2007 11:28 AM

SDE + Lotsa 35mm goodness (letus)

I intentionally shot this wedding with my letus the whole time (but I had an extra camperson to shoot straight). Most was with a 50mm, 1.4. I recently picked up a macro lens which is really great for wedding stuff.

Song is by Counting Crows - Colorblind (I Am Ready).

I warmed up the color really good for the ceremony.

http://ipodweddingvid.com/videos/joanne_rene.wmv

Thanks all for watching.

Nicholas Valentine May 18th, 2007 11:50 AM

Beautiful colors and nice editing. I wish I could get locations like that. I love the rack focusing too.

Richard Wakefield May 18th, 2007 12:04 PM

am a big fan of your stuff Jason...

emotional, beautiful camera work (new macro works well), recognisable as 'your style', colourised + vignetted suitably, v.impressive for a SDE

oh, and it's proof that highlight clips don't need to painfully slow slow-mos all the way through

hmmmm, how did u get that shot under the bride's dress of her shoe, without a slap from her or the groom?! :)

Patrick Moreau May 18th, 2007 01:29 PM

Hi Jason,

Love the color work and the composition throughout. I really enjoy that extra dimension added by the letus. I really like the feel of the song you chose as well, although it did feel a little slow about mid-way through. Do you always try to use anew song for every SDE?

Do you shoot a lot of your letus stuff handheld, or no a tripod, or? I've been using the Brevis mostly on a tripod with the 50 f1.4 like you but I also have to deal with the image inversion, which makes it tougher to shoot handheld.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

Jason Magbanua May 19th, 2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 681712)
hmmmm, how did u get that shot under the bride's dress of her shoe, without a slap from her or the groom?! :)

Hey thanks Richard.

As much as that shot looked risque, it was really a simple putting on the shoe while the bride lifted her dress slightly. :)

@Nicholas
Thanks for watching. We love shooting in that particular chapel, Caleruega.

Jason Magbanua May 19th, 2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau (Post 681757)
Hi Jason,

Love the color work and the composition throughout. I really enjoy that extra dimension added by the letus. I really like the feel of the song you chose as well, although it did feel a little slow about mid-way through. Do you always try to use anew song for every SDE?

Do you shoot a lot of your letus stuff handheld, or no a tripod, or? I've been using the Brevis mostly on a tripod with the 50 f1.4 like you but I also have to deal with the image inversion, which makes it tougher to shoot handheld.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick

Hey Patrick.
Thanks for the comments. Your right on the money about slowing down. If I had my way yesterday, I wanted all money shots all throughout. But I ran out. So I had to sprinkle the SDE with moment shots (father's reaction to the vows, kids monkeying around) and heaven forbid filler shots (the priest). :)

Most were handheld. The macros and church shot was mounted though.

That's what's keeping me from the Brevis, the inverted image. BUt you know what, I can feel my Letus slowly disintegrating. After only about four weeks, the 72mm thread to the FX is now losing it's grip. Darn.

Alastair Brown May 19th, 2007 02:00 PM

Simply Stunning as usual. Along with Richard, I'm a member of the Jason Magbanua Fan Club (do you sell T-Shirts?). You just seem to luck out every time with stunning locations and stunning brides. People like yourself and Patrick are setting the bar ever higher. Many thanks for sharing these with us.

PS-Richard your stuff is cool as well, but you knew that already!

Michael Y Wong May 20th, 2007 12:44 PM

Awesome as always Jason!

I didn't notice the pace slowdown & thought it flowed well; altho I don't think the effect of the 35mm adapter was as profound as I was hoping; I attribute that to you and your crew already pushing a limited dof look with skilled shooting of tight closeups.

A few questions

-what program do you use to encode your wmv at such good quality but low overall file sizes?
-you are using the Letus with the in adapter flip?

Jason Magbanua May 22nd, 2007 10:02 AM

@Michael
Yup its the Letus Flip enhanced. I've always encoded using Canopus Procoder. Thanks for watching.

@Alastair
Thank you for your kind words. :)

Ian Lim May 23rd, 2007 02:48 AM

Super cool video!

Jason, what camera do you use? Would you mind to share your setup in pictures? Thanks in advance

Yang Wen October 11th, 2007 09:59 PM

Jason,

Wonderful work!

Is mounting and dismounting of the Letus relatively early? I'm interested in using a 35mm adapter but only for the preparation segment. I work by myself so I would need to be able to pop the adapter off with realtive ease.

Also do you use a rail kit? with it?

Warren Kawamoto October 12th, 2007 12:50 PM

Terrific shots, Jason! I got really confused with your edited "story" however. They went into the church, was about to exchange rings, then went out of the church to take pictures. Then suddenly the bride walks down the aisle to get married again? Very confusing. Your individual shots, however, were fantastic!

David Mathew Bonner October 12th, 2007 04:05 PM

sweet stuff Mazzy :)

makes me want to continue doing some weddings.

Jason Magbanua October 16th, 2007 05:35 AM

Ian, Wen

This is the setup.

http://myweddingvid.com/images/letuscam1.jpg

I have since used rails at the suggestion of a certain mr. daniel boswell.

I now utilise it as a handle while I manually focus the lenses.

the letus flip is NOT easy to take off though.

Jason Magbanua October 16th, 2007 05:40 AM

Bonner! Good to catch you here. :) Should've never left in the first place.