Printing on DVDs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Printing on DVDs

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought wedding pros might know.

I wanted to use printable DVDs so I could have full color labels. I'm on a MacBook Pro. I went with the Canon iP4300, got a CD/DVD tray on ebay and used the steps given at pixma.damnmachine.com to use service codes to reconfigure the printer to print on CD/DVDs (the U.S. 4300s are disabled so you have to turn the printer into an EU or AUS machine). This worked fine and the labels look great with one problem. With the software I have (CD-labelprint) it won't print to the full center of the DVD. There is a white ring about 1/4 inch in the center of the DVD. I suppose I just need a better software. Any ideas? Bob
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #2
Major Player

My guess is a printer margin thing. Same reason you can't print right to the edge of regular paper.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Inner Circle

the best software is SureThing DVD labeller, not sure if the mac version exists
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

not a printer margin issue I've ran Canons right to the centre of the disc ..even going beyond where I should have.. (oops!)

SureThing is def the easiest one to use on PC as Canon templates are available (though Im not sure if they ever supply them with the app?)

Personally I used a vector graphics app (Corel Xara) and made a custom template to suit (I prefered the flexibility versus SureThing as we use the same app to originate covers and menu backgrounds)

It just took a bit of trial and error creating a custom paper size that matches the tray dimensions and working out position of the printable area on it - Xara is a PC and Linux app but no reason you couldnt take same approach with a vector-drawing app on the mac.
Steven Cowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Tourist

Try DiscLabel from SmileOnMyMac.com. While I haven't tried this with a Canon printer on my Epson it has controls for how close to the hub it should print.

This is a pretty nice labeling program and pretty cheap too. I think they have a demo version as well.
Roy Turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Trustee

use the canon original software that come with it. We have it here in Asia. I think u can download if from the website of Canon Singapore. Just have to select new paper n u will be allowed to key in the exact diameter. its a free software. Try it.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Warner View Post
Wasn't sure where to post this, but I thought wedding pros might know.

I wanted to use printable DVDs so I could have full color labels. I'm on a MacBook Pro. I went with the Canon iP4300, got a CD/DVD tray on ebay and used the steps given at pixma.damnmachine.com to use service codes to reconfigure the printer to print on CD/DVDs (the U.S. 4300s are disabled so you have to turn the printer into an EU or AUS machine). This worked fine and the labels look great with one problem. With the software I have (CD-labelprint) it won't print to the full center of the DVD. There is a white ring about 1/4 inch in the center of the DVD. I suppose I just need a better software. Any ideas? Bob
Hi Bob

You have to modify the PC registry manually:

*** do not attempt this if you are unfamiliar with the system registry, as a wrong edit can damage your PC. Alter this at your own risk ***

The key to change is:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MediaNavigation\CDLabelPrint\1.0\Settings\SizeAd
just\.Standard CD (12cm)]

Change the "Inner" value to the number of mm times 10, use negative for
smaller. Its relative to 43mm. For example, to adjust 23mm smaller (giving
20mm bore) change: "Inner" to -230.

Then in CD-Label, open the "Adjust Circle Size", then select ok (don't
change anything). Change made! This does not work with the Outer diameter.

Hope this works for you.

Steve

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques