DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   sennheiser g2 settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/94610-sennheiser-g2-settings.html)

Charlie Woolford May 21st, 2007 03:25 PM

sennheiser g2 settings

Hey guys just bought a sennheiser g2 and was wondering what are the best setting to use for a wedding. I am new to this wireless mic thing so any help would be appreciated. Also where is the best place to place the lavalier mic. I was thinking about on the groom. Let me know.
Thanks,
Charlie

Don Bloom May 21st, 2007 03:41 PM

I don't use the Senns so I can't help you with the setting but for placement I have always put it on the grooms LEFT lapel an inch or 2 below the buttoniers stem.
This will then get the goom, the bride (so long as she doesn't whisper) and the officiant. When they (the B&G turn away from the officiant and he announces the B&G the level does drop off but usually not so much as it can't be lived with and brought up a bit to even it out.

Don

Charlie Woolford May 21st, 2007 08:09 PM

another question, do I use the windscreen or leave it off?

Don Bloom May 21st, 2007 09:15 PM

Obviously outside leave it on inside I actually pretty much leave it on as well-I hate when people spit into my lav mics ;-)

Don

Travis Bowers May 22nd, 2007 01:35 PM

I use the G2, i typically keep the windscreen on, but i dont think it would matter either way. Just make sure to posistion the mic so it doesnt rub to much on any clothes, for obvious reasons....

Gareth Watkins May 22nd, 2007 03:17 PM

Hi Charlie

Check out Guy Cochran's tutorial on these great little wireless mic's... I've two etc and can't fault them... despite what you might read mine have been reliable upto 300 yards....

http://www.dvcreators.net/products/s...movieframe.htm

cheers
Gareth

Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk May 22nd, 2007 03:23 PM

We have these sennheiser G2 mics and they are GREAT. However, when the anteanna rubs against clothing, it makes a feedback noise. The only thing we can do is make it not rub, but that's difficult when the transmitter pack is placed on the groom's waistband and his jacked rubs. Any advice on where to place the pack so that its anteanna doesn't rub, or ways to prevent this kind of noise?

Paul R Johnson May 22nd, 2007 03:48 PM

You get noise from the antenna rubbing? What kind of noise, the mic packs are not supposed to be microphonic - are you sure its not signal loss as the antenna gets pushed into the body? I've never come accross any noises from antennas, and I have quite a few of these things.

Mic wise, I'm assuming we are talking about the omni versions? I always use them without a windshield indoors, with the capsule facing away from the mouth - much better at reducing breath blast, and spit!

Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk May 22nd, 2007 04:11 PM

Well, that's what we've narrowed it down to. When we have the mic bodypack on the back waistband and a suit jacket rubs against something. . .it gives a "metallic" phh-phh noise. I'm not that experienced in wireless mics to know what the sound is exactly coming from. Could that kind of noise be a signal loss?

The mic is the sennheiser EX100 G2. If we move the bodypack to somewhere where nothing rubs against anything (front waistband/no jacket) we dont' recieve any noise.

Monday Isa May 23rd, 2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Eidum Zinchuk (Post 684063)
Well, that's what we've narrowed it down to. When we have the mic bodypack on the back waistband and a suit jacket rubs against something. . .it gives a "metallic" phh-phh noise. I'm not that experienced in wireless mics to know what the sound is exactly coming from. Could that kind of noise be a signal loss?

The mic is the sennheiser EX100 G2. If we move the bodypack to somewhere where nothing rubs against anything (front waistband/no jacket) we dont' recieve any noise.

Hey Jennifer I think you just confirmed a problem I had this past weekend. Very similar. It was my first time using the Senns on the minister and he had it under his rob and I got tons of problems with the signal as he moved briskly. I think you confirmed the problem. I'll test it tomorrow.

Michael May May 31st, 2007 02:24 AM

succesful settings

Here are the settings I use:

Transmitter -20db
Receiver 0db (quiet room)
OR
Receiver -6db (average room)

I have the G2 connected to my HVR-A1U with the XLR level set around 1/2 way up. I just use the volume level on the camera for any small adjustments.

I have the same problem with the noise, but thought it was clothing rubbing against the mic and not the antenna.

Good luck,

Michael

Jonathan Jones May 31st, 2007 11:07 PM

I know the sound you are referring to. I call frequency whiplash and have experienced it on rare occasions, and it seems I have also narrowed it down to the extensiveness of body movement where the bodypack or antennae itself is moved and tries to re-establish a strong connection with my reciever. It is definately not a rubbing mic sound, and it also doesn't sound like what I have experienced when the wearer forgets to turn off their cell phone in a pocket right next to the body pack. The frequency whiplash is its own very distinct sound.

For weddings, if it occurs while words are being spoken, I generally make a call on how distracting the sound is, and if it is too noticable, I revert to the backup audio feed I get from the iRiver worn by the groom.

-Jon