DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   24f/24p for a wedding? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/94932-24f-24p-wedding.html)

Ryan Hough May 24th, 2007 11:47 AM

24f/24p for a wedding?

I am a long time lurker on this forum and have learned a lot from you guys. I was wanting to ask whether or not it is a good idea to shoot a wedding in 24f or 24p? If so why or why not. I am doing a dual camera setup an XH-A1 and an HV20. Since the HV20 will do 24p and should work nicely as a B-Roll camera in the Ceremony, does it make sense to shoot the wedding this way? Since there is little movement in the actual Ceremony, I would think at least shoot it in 24 and possible the rest in 30p or 60i. I do plan to use some prelude and postlude video in slow mo that will probably look better filmed in 30p. I will be doing al the Post using FCS 2.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ben Lynn May 24th, 2007 01:36 PM

24/30p will give you a different feel than 60i. That's the main reason for choosing one over the other. 60i/60p will have a more "reality" feel to it with the smooth motion and everything crisp to the eye. 24p will have a more juttery motion to movement and a more cinematic "feel" to it.

Ben

Ryan Hough May 25th, 2007 07:24 AM

Does anyone here ever shoot a wedding in 24p? Has any of their clients commented on the look being bad or good. I just don't want to shoot all the wedding in 24 wishing I had not.

Nicholas Valentine May 25th, 2007 09:03 AM

The last wedding I shot I did in 24p. The wedding I'm shooting tonight I'm doing in 24p. These are the only weddings I have done at that setting. I'm currently piecing together the first 24p wedding and it looks pretty good. I did notice on another project I did in 24p for a church choir the exterior brick shots I had gotten seemed a little strange when in slow-motion. So when I did exteriors yesterday at the rehearsal I shot in 60i (just for the panning of the brickwork). The client loved it though and asked for me to dupe 25 DVDs more that what they originally asked for.

When I have a highlight or something finished I'll post a link to it so you can see what a ceremony looks like in 24p. This should help others with this question too. I know I looked around and I even think I asked about this same thing and no one answered so I took a chance.

Ryan Hough May 25th, 2007 01:06 PM

Thanks Nicolas!

I think we are both onto something. Shoot the before and the reception at your discretion at 60i and the ceremony at 24p. Seems like a great combo.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Tim Harjo May 25th, 2007 02:56 PM

I think a lot of it depends on the software you'll be using for post. If you plan on using slow motion, consider that not every software is going to put your project on your hard drive at 24p. You may end up with 30fps after putting it in witch means every 4th frame is a repeat. So slow motion shots look, well, bad.

That is what happend to me. I was using Pinnacle studio 9 software. Now I use Final Cut Pro. No issues.

As far as the look, If you are marketing your product to look like a "movie" then 24fps would be very effective.

Ryan Hough May 25th, 2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Harjo (Post 686413)
I think a lot of it depends on the software you'll be using for post. If you plan on using slow motion, consider that not every software is going to put your project on your hard drive at 24p. You may end up with 30fps after putting it in witch means every 4th frame is a repeat. So slow motion shots look, well, bad.

That is what happend to me. I was using Pinnacle studio 9 software. Now I use Final Cut Pro. No issues.

As far as the look, If you are marketing your product to look like a "movie" then 24fps would be very effective.

I am using Final Cut Studio 2.

Kiflom Bahta May 26th, 2007 02:36 AM

What about 30p Vs 60i. i use 30 all the time and iam very happy with. Do you guys find 60i ideal for weddings?

Ian Broadbent May 27th, 2007 07:04 PM

Closest I get is 25p - Oh I am in PAL land, its all I get with my JVC HD110 ;) No real point in 24p here lol

Works for me, sorry for the pointless post

Ian

Travis Cossel May 28th, 2007 01:49 PM

I use GL2's, so I can't shoot in true 24P. However, I've always shot weddings using the "frame" mode, which is pretty similar to 24P. I love it.

Mike Oveson June 1st, 2007 02:59 PM

I shoot all of my material in 24p and it works great. The clients love the look of it, even if they don't know what makes it look the way it does. If you have some good software for slow motion you can still do it fine. I use Sony Vegas as it works the best with 24p footage in my experience (at least on PC) and it's not very expensive. Many things on TV are shot in 24p now and I think that 1080p/24p is the way of the future. You have to be more sensitive with your camera movements when shooting in 24p, but if you treat it right you can get great results.

Glen Elliott June 1st, 2007 05:00 PM

I personally love the aesthetic of 24p/f. However bear in mind if you are an editor that relies on slow motion a lot it might not be the best choice.

Rob Williams June 1st, 2007 06:36 PM

Can you mix 24p and 30 or 60i together in the same project? What do you set your project settings to?

Michael Foo June 3rd, 2007 11:12 AM

With regards to the XH-A1, I don't believe you can mix 1080 60i and 24f interchangeably on the same tape.

Peter Szilveszter June 3rd, 2007 09:12 PM

I guess if you shoot the ceremony on 24f and change tapes after and shoot 60i the rest of the wedding, you could do it like that. especialy since the ceremony is generaly within an hour timeframe for your standard weddings.

I think Rob means editing can u mix? I use Avid and it allows that but really depends on your NLE, I would say now days are fairly flexible to do that in most NLE packages.