DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Slow Motion Setttings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/94944-slow-motion-setttings.html)

Wayne Greensill May 24th, 2007 02:10 PM

Slow Motion Setttings

Hi there

I am using a Sony DCR VX2100 Camera with PP2, using the Matrox RT X2 card.

My question is what are the best settings or the best way to shoot, for example a simple confetti shot or a tracking shot of the bride & groom.

Am i best to change the shutter speed on camera and if so what do you recommend or am i best to edit the speed in PP2 or after effects.

I have tried looking for the time warp setting in after effects 7 but it looks as if i dont have that plugin.

I would appreciate your feedback

Kind regards
Wayne

Don Bloom May 24th, 2007 03:47 PM

shoot it normally and change it in post. In Vegas you can change the playback rate or add a velocity envelope to slow it down or speed it up. I'm not sure about PP2 but I would have to imagine that there is something similar.
For a one time once in a lifetime event why take a chance of goofing something up by trying to do effects in the camera. Just my opinion by I think you're better off shooting it normally, getting "in the can" and then do your effects in podst. What if you change your mind when you look at the footage and decide that slo-mo wasn't the best thing to do for that shot?

Just my $.03 worth

Don

Wayne Greensill May 24th, 2007 03:50 PM

Thanks Don for the input

Appreciated

Greg Boston May 24th, 2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 685787)
shoot it normally and change it in post. In Vegas you can change the playback rate or add a velocity envelope to slow it down or speed it up. I'm not sure about PP2 but I would have to imagine that there is something similar.
For a one time once in a lifetime event why take a chance of goofing something up by trying to do effects in the camera. Just my opinion by I think you're better off shooting it normally, getting "in the can" and then do your effects in podst. What if you change your mind when you look at the footage and decide that slo-mo wasn't the best thing to do for that shot?

Just my $.03 worth

Don

i only advocate upping the shutter speed a bit to help clear up motion blur that becomes much more obvious to my eye when the footage is slowed down. I suspect it's anecdotal, but I figure a software generated slow down would have better 'reference' material if the individual frames are cleaner.

That seems to work better when I overcrank in the camera, not in post so YMMV.

-gb-

Don Bloom May 24th, 2007 09:01 PM

Greg, I do agree but for me when doing a wedding I usually don't have time to figure how I'm going to use alot of the shots I get so I do them "straight" and play later. I kind of approach weddings like news. Shot straight play later ;-)

Don

Tim Harjo May 25th, 2007 03:14 PM

I think Greg and Don are both right. Don, I treat Wedding Videography like news too. Things can happen so quickly.

There are times when I am just shooting candles and "stuff" when I move the camera to simulate it being on a dolly or crane. I'm going to try upping the shutter speed on my next project for those shots to see what happens. There are a couple shots I almost always put in slow-mo.

Wayne Greensill May 25th, 2007 03:32 PM

How do you guys go about doing slow in premiere pro2?

Richard Wakefield May 25th, 2007 05:23 PM

right click on the clip and change the clip speed to say 50% (hold on wayne, i'm confused, u surely know how to do this, coz u mentioned it in your 'ghosting fx' thread?)

or use one of the arrow tools on the side that 'stretches' the clip...that is alot quicker if you want to slow it down or speed it up to a desired length in the timeline

p.s. wayne, did u buy/watch the videocopilot stuff i recommended to you? great stuff eh!

Wayne Greensill May 25th, 2007 07:07 PM

Hi Richard,

Hope you got my email?

The reason I have asked for suggestions with the slow motion settings is because when i slow it down to 50% like you say, it doesn't seem very smooth, do I need to change any other settings?

Kind regards
Wayne