Yet another trailer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 1st, 2007, 02:27 PM   #16
Major Player

AWESOME, great stuff.... Thanks for sharing!
Jon Omiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM   #17
Still Motion

Jason,

The feet shot while they were dancing was done with the steadicam upside down, in other words the cheap low mode. As the balance is so good on the unit, doing tilts while moving or going upside down is pretty smooth as well. If I take the time to rebalance it a bit, it gets even better.

Thanks for the comments Jon and Jason.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM   #18
Major Player

Gosh I love to see good work.

When I watch an emotional video like that I really like to see shots of the brides face with different expressions. I used to be a portrait artist (oil-pastel) and am amazed at how powerful the face is as a visual element.
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Wrangler

Patrick I tend to agree about the comment on the music. While I personally like that track the bride was so happy and smiling it didn't feel like the best fit. That said- this trailer has some of the most visually impressive shots I've ever seen in a wedding video, and I'm not easily impressed.

PS Was that the A1 (60i)
Old June 1st, 2007, 05:37 PM   #20
Still Motion

Thanks Dana and Glen.

Point taken about the music. I basically went through my iTunes playlist for highlights music and lookd for something short and that would fit, this was the first thing I came across so I went with it. Now that have seen it many times, I do think a lighter track could have helped. Now for the highlights, since there is so much great footage, I am carefully weighing my options in terms of a song choice.

Everything for this was shot with the A1 (60i), I think we had four different ones that day. The brevis and A1 is a killer combo. I'm starting to use that for preps more than anything else. I have a plan to try 24F on the brevis shortly, just haven't got there yet.

Patrick
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Patrick
Did you take the flyer off the arm and handhold it to get that low? Also did you hold the sled at the same time>
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #22
Still Motion

Jason,

Barring the wedding that I forgot the steadicam arm at home, I always use the unit with the arm. Boy did I pay the price in terms of fatigue when I forot the arm though.

I'm not too sure about your other question. Are you asking if I had my hand on the post while moving? If so, thats a tough one to answer. Ideally, I stay away from the post as much as posisble and often when balanced right it needs very little guidance.
Old June 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM   #23
Major Player

By turning the unit upside down one hand is on the handle and the other holds what? i use the glidecam 4000 so to turn it upside down my other hand would need to be on the sled which would be at the top now. With the smooth shooter I would not be able to get low enough to do a feet shot so it would have to be done handheld without the arm. I hope this explains more? I really like that shot!
Jason Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #24
Regular Crew

MAN! Those shots are so nice looking! Very powerful stuff. The coloring is amazing.
Ryan Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #25
Trustee

Thank u for sharing the tricks Patrick. Many of us here will really benefit from your willingness to share. I have to try that low mode shot sometime.. like Jason said, I'm also wondering how to keep theleft hand steady on the post of the stabiliser.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #26
Still Motion

Ryan,
Thanks for the comments. I've been spending more time on my color work and I have 6 or 7 batches of filters (like a photoshop action) which seem to be working very well. All of the color work was done in Final cut with native filters too.

Sean,
For me it seems to be a matter of getting that near perfect balance and getting some constant speed/inertia going with your moves. For the aisle shot, and all of the first dance shots, once I take the first couple steps and get going, I can almost fly the unit with one hand and that is where it gets really smooth. The arm on the steadicam is unbelievable too.
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Inner Circle

I guess I don't understand the dislike of that music choice. I thought it fit very well with the shots and the edit. Must be a case of personal preference.

I was wondering how you got the shot of the ring with the light passing across it. Was that an accident or did you have someone pass a light over the shot?

My favorite shot I think was when you glided past the couple as they were dancing. That shot seriously looks like it came out of a movie.

Great work, Patrick!
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #28
Major Player

I for one thought the trailer music was 100% kick a$$ & suitable, different; albiet suitable nonetheless; gotta love Hanz Zimmer!

Last edited by Michael Y Wong; June 6th, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
Michael Y Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #29
Regular Crew

The music fits this perfectly (IMO) as a wedding should be dramatic.. Similar to movies when they capture those heart felt moments, the scences choosen work perfectly with the track.

Great work and great inspiration.
Tom McDougal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques