DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Best Camera For Budget (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/95571-best-camera-budget.html)

Shawn Nyquist June 1st, 2007 02:36 PM

Best Camera For Budget

Ok this is my first post on the site but I have been a "lurker" for some time. I finally made the decision to get into to Videography head over heels. I am trying to put together a analysis of sorts and was wondering what the professionals on here think.

What would be the best camera to buy on a $5000 (maybe a little more) budget and I have to buy two of them?

The problem is I have researched alot as expected but really research can only go so far, and thats the reason I ask for help. Well I thank everyone in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Don Bloom June 1st, 2007 03:33 PM

SD or HD? Don't forget batteries to power them and a tripod or 2 to hold them up and then theres audio. One wireless or 2, or maybe a couple of iRiver type devices. Hmmm, I don't know about Milwaukee (haven't lived there since 1960) but here in Chicago the receptions get very very dark as in just about zero lighting except for the DJs lights maybe, so an on camera light is pretty much a given unless you like dark grainy footage.
So the question is, is your budget of 5K only for the camera(s) or for everything you need? Then of course the age old question (at least for now) SD or HD as that'll make a bit of difference in money and do you want small cameras or full size camera(s).
Lots to consider.

Don

Shawn Nyquist June 1st, 2007 05:46 PM

well really I dont care about having HD at this time but it would be nice not to have to upgrade when I decide to jump on that bandwagon. 5k is for the cameras themselves, im hoping to start up with 10k so I will have a little breathing room but 10k is for everything. Lighting and mics have all been budgeted into the 10k and are not included in the 5k. Alot of the videos ive seen from local videographers have dark receptions so the lighting was one of the first things I thought about. I would like full size for steadier shots. Thanks again.

Chris Barcellos June 1st, 2007 06:34 PM

If I had this budget tdoay, Look at two different cameras. Main either a Sony V1u or Cannon A1h and second to use for b camera, probably the HV20, or the maybe one of the Sony low end HDV. Best matching probably would be the two Canons. Alternatively in Sony camp, 1 FX7 and one A1U.

If you were going to go a bit over $5k, then you could look at 2 Sony FX7s, especially if there is no need for 24p frame rate.

In my opinion, you are not going to get away from HDV at least in a new camera purchase, and get "value". The older cameras live PD 170, or the Canon GL2, even new, are not going to hold their values.

Don Bloom June 1st, 2007 10:03 PM

Well if you go to HD AND want full sized cameras your budget for cameras won't get it done. Actually won't buy a lense but since you said you really aren't too worried about HD there are some options.
For a little over 5K you can get a Sony DSR250 with power AND a PD170 with power. A couple of tripods, on camera lights, audio and maybe even a saondwich for lunch. Keep in mind both of those cameras will probably be off the market in a couple of years and the DSR250 maybe sooner BUT I use a 250/150 combo, I use to use a JVC5000/PD150 combo and have used DSR300s and 500s and frankly for most of my work the DSR250 is fine.
There is also the JVC5100 which is a fine camera but if you go that route I suggest forget the Fuji 14 lens and get a Canon 19X7. Awesome piece of glass-of course you won't get but maybe 1 camera w/lens and possibly power for the 5K you have budgeted BUT you also won't need 5k for tripods, on camera lights and audio unless you get Lectro and some higher end Vintons or Sachtler pods.
Don't forget thoug that the power for full size cams can be an issue. Even with my 250 I keep and many times use 4 Dionic 90 batteries. The JVC5000 was even more power hungry-more wattage pull. Plus the charger is more.
Don't foget a bag or case to protect your new gear.
HTHs
Don