yesterdays SDE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

yesterday's SDE

Here's our first fast paced SDE! Crazy thing is, our project file in premiere was damaged when we arrived at the church and we had a hard time recovering it so back to square one on editing... good thing we met the deadline which was after dinner! whew~

http://mayadstudios.multiply.com/video/item/13

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qLa-iXJ1JM

Last edited by Raphael Jamil Pranga; June 8th, 2007 at 10:06 AM.
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Major Player

You have some nice stuff there. I like the song .. what is it?

I love some of the shots .. the rack focus on the shirt buttons, the up angle on the blowing veil .. sweet

This is ironic for me, cause I'm no for fast work but it would be nice to slow things down a little ... slo mo is over used, I think, but there was once or twice it would have worked .. might have entailed different music, though

Might have jumped around a little too much for me. And putting up the Church name etc halfway thru was a little confusing

Your cuts are great but again, maybe some over use of the whip trans

Overall, looks like everyone was having fun, which is great. And thanks for not over using the B&W
Victor Kellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Victor! Your comment is very welcome and thank you! It was the couple who requested that their video would be fun and fast and not the usual type so this is what we came up with... :D

the song is Smile at me by Rocksteddy

Cheers!
Old June 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #4
Still Motion

I thought it was pretty cool. There were some awesome shots in there but I also found like it jumped around a lot, and was tough to watch at parts because of all the zooms whip pans and movement. There didn't seem to be a very coherent storyline in there either, the way it jumped from scene to scene, showing the church title in the middle, and what looked like an engagement shoot. I also don't think the audio was up to par with the wuality of your shooting.

On the other hand, there were some really nice stuff in there, some great sequences, and an awesome job for your first fast SDE.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree with the others that the title with the church name and date felt out of place. There were also two shots back-to-back in the church where the groom was pulling his pants up; not flattering for him at all. I wouldn't use shots like that. It was fun to watch, but again I agree that it didn't seem to have a cohesive storyline because it kept jumping back and forth to completely different times - BUT, maybe that's what the couple wanted, so that's okay.

Now, the good news is that I thought your editing was strong and well done. I thought the whip-pans worked great, and I didn't think the church audio was that bad. Overall I would say you did an excellent job, especially since it was your first SDE. VERY nice.
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #6
Trustee

I feel the opposite about the groom pulling up his pants. I would never edit a video in this style unless asked by the clients, but since they asked it is appropriate. I actually laughed at the second shot of him pulling up his pants.

How many cameras were used? Did you use a 35mm lens adapter in any shots?
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Major Player

There was ALOT of editing in there for a SDE. I don't know that I would attempt that as a SDE, but thge I,m a chicken.
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you so much guys for the honest comments! This is very good for us so that we could improve our work! Will keep those in mind on our next SDE~

Marcus, everything was shot with one cam without a 35mm lens adapter... :D
Old June 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I thought it was awesome

I say the whole vid was a complete success. Amazing job if you ask me, the church title was the only thing that threw me off. I love fast videos, and love when the couple requests them. Good job guys!
Josh Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks so much josh!
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques