What equipment to get ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #1
New Boot

What equipment to get ?

Hi to everybody.I' ve been around DVInfo for a while and now i need some help.

As a short background of me, i am a professional videographer and editor (worked in news and documentaries) and have edited a couple of weddings before.

Now i am thinking about starting my own wedding and events company and i am in the point that i have to find out what equipment would be appropriate and possible within my budget.

The budget is about €15000-€20000 max (around $20000-$25000) for everything.

I'm considering 2 cameras possibly high definition so that i am ahead of things.

I guess i will need a video for capturing (using the cameras for capturing is my last resort if i can not buy any VCR due to lack of money).

Are there any suggestions for these ?

Any other essential equipment i will need ?

These are my major concerns.Of course i am planning to get some kind of stedycam equip and possibly some mics but these are the cheaper things of the whole deal.

Any other essential equipment i will need and haven't think of ?

Thanks for your help. :)

P.S. Sorry if this is not the right place to ask.
John Kokkinakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #2
New Boot

John,

I understand they do things differently around the Mediterranean and in some places throughout Europe, like using studio lights during the ceremony, etc.

Therefore, my recommendations would have to be taken with understanding that I'm not very familar with European wedding video. However, here in the States where we cannot use bright lights at the ceremony and they are unwanted even at receptions which tend to have even dimmer lighting, the Lux rating is very important. We use 1-Lux cameras for standard video and 3-Lux (FX1) for hi-def.

I would urge you to put plenty of emphasis on tripods and heads where you may only have one shot at a smooth pan or tilt, and much more emphasis on audio - wireless mic sets, digital recorders, etc.

Good luck!
Hank Castello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I personally use the HVX200, and I absolutely love it. P2 is an amazing workflow, I got to really test it out this last week during a church choir tour. It was great to be able to transfer off full 720p 60p video off in a fraction of the amount of time it would take to log and capture all of this video. The camera itself is very solid, and the images are crisp. The slomo stuff it does is really cool too.
www.bandwagonhd.com
Timothy Harry is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques