one more common edit for weddings Q : snapshot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #1
Major Player

one more common edit for weddings Q : snapshot

Working hard at doing what I can to save this video. I want to take 'snapshots' of the photoshoot with the family after the ceremony, and I know there are several ways to do it. What ways do you think work and look the best

-Putting a white matte on a higher layer and fading to it then into the frozen image
-Using an Additive cross dissolve into the frozen frame

There seems to be a way to use the levels maybe to make the white grow and overtake the image, but i`m not sure how to do it that way. Any other suggestions?
Old June 13th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

compositing is ur friend
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM   #3
Major Player

ummm ok. I ended up playing around with level, and boosting up the RGB white output (up and down) to get the effect I was aiming for. Looks nice...now just need an old camera flash noise.
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

you might also try the adjusting the contrast with a keyframe. this gives a different look than just a white fade.
I actually tried both yesterday (1/4 second white flash with 1 second of keyframed contrast) and it worked out great, I even included the traditional camera "click".
I don't really know how to use these forum features very well, otherwise I would post the camera soundFX for you guys to use who don't already have one.
Mark G
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

layers dude..

have ur bottom layer imitate the top layer, both with the same freeze..

top layer should have a flash or a white transition, bottom layer the same, BUT blur this out a lil bit.. if u really wanna trip out your viewers keep it moving at something like 5%..

with the top layer, mess with pan crop tools to simulate a throwdown (ie throw the picture down) then slowly zoom into or out of the top pic...even more interesting is to cut the layers of teh pic and reanimate that grab... if u really wanna get interesting, change the pics colour dynamics as it zooms.. all the while ur background is still moving ... or not..
Dude, u have an NLE.. u can do almost anything with it..
think outside the sqaure.. or shoudl that be rectangle if refering to 16:9? LOL

an easy way to do all this is with the Vegas Photo Snapshot script..

Another option is to us something like Adorage which has afew lil tricks in to bring images to life..
PI3 is another perfect tool to brings pics to life.. and of course the infamous After effects which for the life of me, i cant understand why its so damn convoluted, but the options are there..

for the basic snapshot u dont need anything special, but IMO, stay away from cheesy camera sound effects and time ur grabs to hard hits within the soundtrack..
trust me, it looks and sounds much cleaner and wont come off as being cheesy.. even though this is rather cheesy.. then again, weddings are cheesy...

where are my crackers..

ok thats my tip for this week..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Trustee

lucked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger View Post
you might also try the adjusting the contrast with a keyframe. this gives a different look than just a white fade.
I actually tried both yesterday (1/4 second white flash with 1 second of keyframed contrast) and it worked out great, I even included the traditional camera "click".
I don't really know how to use these forum features very well, otherwise I would post the camera soundFX for you guys to use who don't already have one.
Mark G
My roommate for a while was also my photographer so he just recorded his 20D shutter slap for me. :-) If I had it somewhere handy right now I could just post it on my site.

There is a camera shutter here but it sounds like a Polaroid.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques