JVC GYHD100 -wind cut wireless ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC GYHD100 -wind cut wireless ?

Hi guys,

You've been always very helpful , so I need your advice once more:

Weddings equipment : JVC GY-HD100 and I'm using a Samson UHF Wireless Lavalier for vows. I had recently an outdoor wedding and my wireless mic picked up wind noise ...
Can you recommend any specific settings for both the Mic on the camera and my Wireless ,etc...
How to cut wind for outdoor weddings (for Wireless)?
How do you manage outdoors recording?
Todd Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Inner Circle

((Ive got 3 different wind socks.. one that looks like a hairy testicle (Koala), one that looks like a shaved testicle (Rycote) and another which looks like a testicle thats had too many steroids.. (rycote)
The rycotes are simple sponge windsocks, while the Koala is an actual softie

these are not cheap, but Koala make some nice socks (hairy balls) Rycote are overpriced for this kinda thing IMO.. i cant fault the Rycote Zeppelin with a Senny 416 though.. which is another tool i would recoemdn to anyone doing professional audio outdoors, however were talking lavs here.. ))

((with alot of time and care.. let it be known that outdoor ceremonies may indeed be affected by noise. do NOT under any circumstance mic under the grooms coat.. youre wasting ur time if u do that.. clip it to his vest/wastcoat stickign out a liil bit
Another thing i do is with the big shaved testicle windsock, is PLANT the mic nearby.. like an archway or some such contraption

another BIG one is to ensure ur actual cam has a decent enough mic to be able to reach the primary talent as if ur lav cuts out, u will still need a back up.
I use Senny K6 + ME64 with a Rycote jammer (or as i like to call it a dead cat with a stick up its bum) and it picks up superclean within 10 to 15 metres. Wind usually isnt an issue, but the mics themselvs allow for low freq cut off (ie a cut off filter on the mic itself) Lavs usually dont have these filters though

Above all this, get urself a good set of full range headphones. DO NOT use spiffy walkman fones as these are designed to crank up low end freq's to make the crappy mp3'd music sound better. Get a flat response pair of noise cancelling inner ear buds (the ones that are like earplugs)
U wont hear shit unless its coming into the mics directly.. so be aware that when people talk to u when wearing these they know u wont be able to hear them..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Evans View Post
Hi guys,

You've been always very helpful , so I need your advice once more:

Weddings equipment : JVC GY-HD100 and I'm using a Samson UHF Wireless Lavalier for vows. I had recently an outdoor wedding and my wireless mic picked up wind noise ...
Can you recommend any specific settings for both the Mic on the camera and my Wireless ,etc...

Easy answer! Read my post here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=Remcat

My opinion? If you're shooting outdoor weddings, you've GOT to have one of these on your lav mic.

Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques