24\25p & Shutter Speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 13th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Major Player

24\25p & Shutter Speed

(I posted this as a reply to another thread but that's gone pretty much dead now so here's a thread in the hope of replies.)

What do you use? I have been using my DVC30 in field mode at a shutter speed of 1\25 (I use PAL) and love the look. Where I am weddings are almost always at night so the low shutter speed helps keep the gain down.

Recently I bought a used DVX100 and will use this as my primary camera with the DVC30 relegated to secondary. In intend to edit both sets of footage on the same timeline (PPro) and want to end up with progressive footage (I know I'll have to process the DVC footage).

I'm now trying to decide on shutter speeds for both cameras and whether to go Frame mode on the DVC30 or keep it Field I'm going for the film look so want the DVX on 25p. The alternatives I have come up with are the following:

DVX 25p, Shutter speed - 1\25
DVC Field, Shutter speed - 1\25
As far as I understand it the above will keep initial resolution on the DVC plus match low-light friendly shutter speeds.

or as above but shutter speeds at 1\50, then of course I could go Frame on the DVC...

Basically I want to end up with low-light friendly settings which produce silmilar film-like footage that can be edited together. Not asking much is it...?

Anyway comments welcome, thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm now trying to decide on shutter speeds for both cameras and whether to go Frame mode on the DVC30 or keep it Field I'm going for the film look so want the DVX on 25p. The alternatives I have come up with are the following:

DVX 25p, Shutter speed - 1\25
DVC Field, Shutter speed - 1\25
----------------------------------------

dude, the slower the shutter the more blur u will have..
note that 1/25ths will work fone for speeches or "static" tripod shots, however for handheld work or any medium to fast moving action, go either 1/50th or even 1/120 (dvx/dvc dont have 1/80 or 1/100)

when shooting for slowmotion, use interlaced and nicrease your shutter speed to DOUBLE what you would normally use, as when u slow the footage down your not only emulating a slow frame rate, bt your also emulating a rolling shutter as well

on the DVC, use frame mode, BUT increase your image sharpness through the scene file.

To colour match the 2 will be difficult.. trust me i know... i ended up taking the dvcback and replacing it with another dvx 100...
colour gradation off cam is VERY difficult to match. particularly reds..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Peter

I have filmed entire weddings & parties with just the DVC on Field and 25 shutter speed and it all came out fine, panning too fast gives out the blur but I had no trouble with folks dancing or general movement.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
Thanks Peter

I have filmed entire weddings & parties with just the DVC on Field and 25 shutter speed and it all came out fine, panning too fast gives out the blur but I had no trouble with folks dancing or general movement.
personally, i wouldnt.. shoot 1/25th outright that is..
Run this footage through an LCD or high end plasma and you'll see what im talking about.. on a Plasma or CRT display, the latency when the cell or voltage drops is ramped, so the motion looks very filmic as the previous cells luminance drops.. with CRT, being interlaced, the image is REINTERLACED by the display or the dvd player itself.. so the purpose is defeated, even thought the cadence still caries that 'feel".
If however your latency is fast (such as LCD) you will notice the blur.. believe me..

theres no right or wrong, but jsut be aware of blur when the camera is handheld or moving.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques