what audio equipment to get for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
Seems like the iRiver is the most popular solution lately, but surely there must be something else?
The IRivers ahve been a popular solution for quite some time actually. but their time is running out, as the IFP7XX/8XX series recorders are no longer being manufactured. Most of the units you will find lately on ebay are refurbished.

The up and coming recoders for event work lately seem to be the Edirol R09/Zoom H4 etc. whcih take SD media cards (up to 2-4 GB) and can record at higher bitrates than the IRivers. And the H4 which is larger than the R09 has bakanced XLR inuputs with 48v phantom power. The R09 is about the size of a deck of cards and is rock solid. I won both.

While both units are more expensive than the IRivers, they are much more robust, professional, and reliable units. Oh BTW, both units also have pretty good built in stereo mics if needed.

And also BTW, Zoom has a smaller sibling to the H4 called the H2 which should be available for delivery sometime in August (I have one on pre-order). Thhe H2 will have 3 built in mic elements and can simulate 5.1 surround sound using the 3 mic elements. It will have mic/line inputs, recordable SD card ability, mic effects, preamps. And will only retail for $199. That's basically the same price as the largest IRiver units were.

Even, if worst, it's an average unti, it should be far and away a better unit than the IRivers.

The small IRiver units were good in their day, but their day has passed. May they rest in peace.
And please lets put all talk and sicussion of them behind us. Compressed MP3 audio sucks. Uncompressed 24/96 is where its at.

Last edited by Michael Liebergot; June 26th, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger Griffin View Post
im also from ireland alan, come on the paddys.
so zach, do these irivers allow you to set/monitor levels and if not how does that aspect work out?
i was thinking of waiting for the new zoom h2 but if a cheaper device will allow me do the same thing then why not.
also my creative zen nano has a line in. can i use some sort of pre-amp for a mic to make this work?

Hi Ger

Im going for the zoom h2 got it on order from, here's the link >>>
http://www.thomann.de/gb/zoom_h_2.htm

I'll let you know how I get on with it, when it arrives.

Regards
Wayne
Wayne Greensill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I am just getting into the wedding videography business. I did a lot of research on this website when trying to decide on how to capture good audio. I made the decision to go with the iRiver with squid mic. I am so glad I did. I was looking at the G2 wireless setup also. But the iriver was literally 10x cheaper. Sure it's an MP3 format. But the quality trade off is minimal as compared to price. And besides, is your customer really going to notice/care? I just downloaded my audio a few days ago and was really happy with the quality. Its getting harder and harder to find iRivers that will record line-in, but heck, get em while you can. I'll probably go with the G2 setup in the future when I have an extra $500 to blow.
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I use a pair of Olympus DS-30's with lavier (sp) mics. They work great, and get much better sound than the Azden wireless system I used in the past.
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #20
Major Player

I've also been convinced after reading the different threads to get an mp3 recorder so I've ordered 2 irivers and the squid mics. Luckly there is a guy in Sydney who seems to have heaps of the ifp 890s on ebay, anyone in australia can get them cheap. I payed AU$130 for the 2 including shipping.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #21
Major Player

I've recieved my iRiver.. now just need the lapels, hope they get here in a week.
One question is where do people position the iriver on the groom as its a little bit bulky so it might show a bit of buldge in the pants/jacket pocket? or is it not that noticable.
Peter Szilveszter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #22
Major Player

I haven't used a mp3/wave recorder myself at weddings, but I wonder about this: aren't you nervous about getting audio when you can't monitor it during recording? With a wireless you can at least listen to what - and if - you get (and adjust the level).

I have a second question and that is how big the risk is of interference. I am planning to record with a rented wireless lav in a church where there is already a wireless system (that goes into a audio console). The rented set would be a Sony WRR/WRT 805 system. Anybody has used this and have anything wise to say? I have searched about the frequencies but haven't found much, I guess the best is to test it (but since I rent it for a day it won't be easy).
Urban Skargren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Peter - that's why I still love the diminutive MiniDisc recorder. It is tiny and slips into any pocket without a causing a bulge. The 'hold' feature ensures that once set into the record mode nothing can stop it (apart from those in the know). It's a hard-wired mic, and although I'm a lover of radio mics, the Minidisc gives me complete confidence, such that the lack of monitoring is not a problem.

The (black) mic cable goes through the groom's top jacket buttonhole and I use a tiny safety pin to keep the wire behind the fold of the lapel. Black mic just behind the top of the lapel so it's on the 'bride's side'.

In fact the audio is so clean that it sounds slightly false in the long shots of the church, and I invariably have to mix in room reverb from my on-camera mic for realism - which of course effectively degrades the audio to some extent.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #24
New Boot

Wedding audio recording with Olympus DS-30

I am using Olympus DS-30 voice recorder ($130) and it works very well.
It has 50Hz - 19kHz frequency response and for voice recording at the wedding video is more than enough.
It is easy to operate and is very small.
I plugged in a lappel mic from my wireless system and it works great.
It is safest method to record important audio , i stopped using wireless at the wedding ceremony.
Adam Pelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Skargren View Post
I haven't used a mp3/wave recorder myself at weddings, but I wonder about this: aren't you nervous about getting audio when you can't monitor it during recording? With a wireless you can at least listen to what - and if - you get (and adjust the level).
I plug in headphones when I first hit record. This allows me to check levels and make sure everything is on the up and up. But you're right, if something goes wrong mid-ceremony, you won't know until it's too late. But what can you really do about it anyway? Again, the key seems to be multiple sources of good audio. And I don't find the unit too bulky. I have the 880 and it's quite small. I just have the groom put it in his jacket pocket.
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #26
Inner Circle

the key seems to be multiple sources of good audio.

Well put, Paul. You can never have too much backup.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Pelka View Post
I am using Olympus DS-30 voice recorder ($130) and it works very well.
It has 50Hz - 19kHz frequency response and for voice recording at the wedding video is more than enough.
It is easy to operate and is very small.
I plugged in a lappel mic from my wireless system and it works great.
It is safest method to record important audio , i stopped using wireless at the wedding ceremony.
I got my DS-30's at B&H for $119 each, FYI.
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Sennheiser G2 wireless Plus the Edorol R4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
... I recently purchased a Sennheiser Evolution G2 setup for about $500 and feel like I finally have a wireless mic which works well: the sound is clearer than I ever had with the cheaper units and so far it seems to be pretty consistent. Given how much most of us spend on our video cameras it's kind of silly not to spend a reasonable amount on sound equipment, since good audio is a critical aspect of a successful video.
It's been said that audio is 51% of any good video.

I'll have to vouch for the Sennheiser G2 systems. I have 3 of them now. I usually put one on the groom, another one on the officiate, and the 3rd one get's connected to the "record out" of the venue's sound board if possible. Why the "record out" you may wonder? Because it's a constant level, and if the sound guy cranks up the PA, it won't make any difference with your recording levels. I've been using the Azden cam-3 mixer to mix the 3 sound sources at the camera, and monitoring the mix from the camera's headphone out jack. The mixer is small, and doesn't require any power. It has 3 each 1/8" inputs, and one 1/8" stereo output which gets connected to my camera's mic input switched to mic level. (Sony VX2100 camera) Channel 1 is right audio, channel 2 is left audio, and channel 3 goes to both Left and right channels. So, I can keep the groom and officiant on their own separate channels, and only turn up the 3rd input when needed.

If I can't get an output from the venue's sound system, I'll get my 3rd sound source by sticking the plug on transmiter (which was part of the Sennheiser G2 wireless kit) to a - Cardioid Handheld Dynamic Microphone, and stick that mic on a stand in front of the venue's PA speaker to capture any readers, vocals, or musicians which the venue has miked. If I can put the mic in front of the pa speaker (say for instance, the speakers or mounted on the ceiling) then I'll try to sit that mic on a stand at the podium and hope for the best.

I've been really happy with my Seenheiser wireless mics for the past 2/3 years now. Im getting ready to embark on a new adventure in the area of audio for my video, which will be independent of my camera. With the purchase of the Edirol R4 I'll be able to record 4 separate channels of audio in one uncompressed WAV file at 96kHz 24 bit. I'll still use my Sennheiser wireless mics, (and various other wired mics) but instead of hooking them up to the camera, they'll be conncted to the R4. I'll be able to monitor the R4's output via wireless headsets, or I may send the output to my camera for synching purposes via one of the Sennheiser transmiters. The really nice thing about the R4 is that it has limiters that will prevent clipping. You can pretty much set the levels and walk away from it and concentrate on shooting the video, and not have to worry about riding the mic inputs anymore.

I've also recently acquired the Zoom H4 which gives me an additional 2 channels of independent audio (if using external mics). So with 6 independent channels of audio I hope to have some really nice sound for my final mix. I may even dabble a bit with surround sound!
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #29
Major Player

If you record four channels on the Edirol R4, are all four channels stereo or mono?
Dale Stoltzfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:41 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Edirol R4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Stoltzfus View Post
If you record four channels on the Edirol R4, are all four channels stereo or mono?
Hi Dale, the following is extracted from the data spec sheet page

http://www.edirol.com/index.php?opti...=56&Itemid=385

"Simultaneous 4-Channel Recording: The 4 XLR/Phone combo jacks come with switchable phantom power and give you a choice of MONO, STEREO, STEREO X2, or 4CH recording. ... Four-channel recording gives you exceptional flexibility. For example, you can use mics to capture the ambience of a performance hall while using line input to record the performance itself"

So in other words, you can record 2 stereo files, file 1 would contain the left and right channel of inputs 1 & 2 while your 2nd stereo files would come from your inputs 3&4. That's how I plan on using the R4 at receptions, connect inputs 1&2 to the DJ's line output L & R channels, then use 2 matched pair of mics for inputs 3 & 4 for the ambient in stereo.

You can also set the R4 up to capture 4 individual mono files, or a wave file which contains 4 channels. When the 4CH wave files is dumped into a Premiere Pro timeline for example, it will place each individual mono file into it's own track.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques