A Slower Love Story Trailer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Still Motion

A Slower Love Story Trailer

Here is a love story trailer I just finished. I thought I would try something slower and get some audio into this one, which is normally the opposite of what our trailers look like. I'de be interested to hear what other think about having the couple interview snippets in there. I think it really added a lot to the trailer aspect- as in showing a preview more related to what final production will look like.

Here is a link to the flash video
http://chiweiandstacy.com/

Patrick
www.still-motion.ca
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow!

That is a great little trailer you have put together. Lots of good smooth movements, you use a Merlin for that? Great job again.
Saul Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Still Motion

Hi Saul,

I actually pulled out all the B material for their trailer and saved the A stuff for the main feature- so I'm glad you still liked the shots.

Everything was done with a steadicam flyer. I haven't gotten my merlin to behave nearly as well, especially outside in the wind- such as the train track location.

Patrick
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Major Player

It looks like a crane in one of the shots. Kudos.

You're having entirely too much fun. I wouldn't believe you if you ever said that you hate doing this. ;o)

I also like how you use humor. I believe that the best way to make 'em cry is to make 'em laugh first. On a recent reception I included a blooper section. They LOVED it, and sent us a $200 tip!

IMO, the shot with almost all of the bride's face off the screen was pushing the creativity envelope a bit too far. If the rest wasn't so well done I would've thought it was an accident. Perhaps I'm too old school.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Salsbury View Post

IMO, the shot with almost all of the bride's face off the screen was pushing the creativity envelope a bit too far. If the rest wasn't so well done I would've thought it was an accident. Perhaps I'm too old school.
Thanks for the comments Dana.

There isn't a shot with the brides face almost off the screen- there just seems to be some sort of wordpress problem going on where it cuts off the last 10% on the right hand side. I thought it looked odd too, so I rechecked the source file and all was good, then tried it in a different browser and it was fine. Not sure why it is doing that though.

If you get a chance, can you try this link to see if the file plays properly?
http://smcouples.com/chiwei/?p=3

Patrick
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM   #6
Trustee

I thought it was great, Patrick. Really gave me the sense of looking forward to the event, which is what I would think a trailer should do.

Great shots, especially the train track one. That was really beautiful. You make me want to buy a stabilizer of some sort. Any recommendations?

I notice that your audio on the groom's interview was clipping a bit. How are you recording him?

Anyway, great work. Thanks for posting it.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #7
Major Player

STABILIZER ENVY! Me too. Actually I have the stabilizer & need the vest.

Ah yes, widescreen helps dramatically. Problem fixed.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:59 AM   #8
Trustee

Great as always!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Love the work Patrick. You are the reason i joined this forum and i check your blog each day for new updates. I really enjoy the Coldplay song...i was just thinking the other day while watching "You, Me, and Dupree" that i should use this song in one of my next videos.

Have you ever messed with the glidecam unit versus the steadicam? there is a huge price difference so like most i'm probably going to have to take the cheaper route at first. Once again love the work....
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #10
Still Motion

Vito,

The audio should be good and not clipping- however I haven't actually tweaked it yet and I did quickly apply an equalizer filter to bring up the mids and bring down the bass, so perhaps that pushed it too far. Thanks for mentioning that, I will have to look into it.
Old June 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #11
Still Motion

Wow, that is quite the compliment Zach. I'm really glad to hear that you enjoy our stuff that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Stewart View Post
Have you ever messed with the glidecam unit versus the steadicam? there is a huge price difference so like most i'm probably going to have to take the cheaper route at first. Once again love the work....
I atually started out with a homemade glidecm that was buiilt with a monopod. It worked well for very short shots and it really taught me how to make the most of the stabilizer, as it was very limited in what it could do. From there I got a glidecam (w/ no vest or arm) and I think it was a huge improvement. Quite a few of the shots that are in all my work could be done with a glidecam- I think the steadicam just makes them easier and slightly smoother. Some of the longer shots where I go around the couple on the dance floor, as an example, are much easier with the steadicam as the arm is unbelievable. Shots such as the opening one in this trailer where the couple is under the bridge are much tougher with a glidecam, I find, as you are raising the camera while rotating and panning. However, the slightly simpler move I would have done if I had a glidecam would have also looked very good I think.

On the other hand, a glidecam is unbelievable value. It is awesome to be able to pick it up and put it down so quicly. I will actually be going back to one for certain weddings so I can switch between the glidecam and a 35mm adapter right away.

Patrick
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Vito,
The audio should be good and not clipping- however I haven't actually tweaked it yet and I did quickly apply an equalizer filter to bring up the mids and bring down the bass, so perhaps that pushed it too far.
It's not horrendous, but I hear it a bit. Listen to the word "have" when he says "you can't have a bad time" for example.

But stellar work. You raise the bar as always.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Patrick - what do you camera do you shoot with, and do you always use the 35mm adapter? I love the difference the 35mm adapter makes but didn't know if it is used all day or how you take this on.

I shoot with:
1 - Sony FX1
1 - Sony HC1

FX1 is my main camera and the HC1 is my backup pretty much. I'm looking into the 35mm adapter and think if i were to take this on i would definitely have to use the glidecam shooter package (which includes the vest/arms for the glidecam 2000). Last question....did you shoot the interviews with a black background or a green screen and pull the key? looks great.
Zach Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #14
Still Motion

Hi Zach,

I shoot with 3 Canon XHA1s and an HV20. I have one A1 on a 35mm adapter, rails, etc. The other two go on tripods and the steadicam. Right now I don't use the 35mm adapter on the steadicam as it really needs two operators to be reliable enough for me.

I've used the FX1 and am much much happier with the Canon camera all around. The FX1 can, of course, do great things, and it works very well with a 35mm adapter, but I would suggest a second main cam for the stabilizer and the 35mm adapter either handheld or tripod.

The clip I posted was all steadicam, no adapter. We had our studio painted all black so no need for any keys, and it makes it very quick to setup and shoot.

If you want to PM or email me directly, I can send you some clips that have more 35mm adpater footage in them.

Patrick
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #15
Regular Crew

i love watching your video patrick. keep them coming. they inspire me to shoot and also helped me make the move to get a lens adapter.

:)
Anthony Vu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques