New Demo Complete - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #16
Trustee

My pleasure, John. Have fun on archive.org. I've been stuck there for days at a time before.

Ciao,
Vito
Old July 11th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #17
Major Player

Vito,

I hate being critical but IMO there was WAY too much film damage...and i was starting to think i had tunnel vision from the over-use of vignetting

sorry, it was otherwise fantastic :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #18
Trustee

Criticize away, Richard! I did post and ask for it.

I tend to agree with you anyway. The look was a very specific request from my client.

It was interesting. I shot the footage in HDV, and downconverted in camera for the edit. On the downconverted footage, the vignette was much less evident. When the edit was complete, I recaptured in HDV and compressed for the web from that. Suddenly the vignette was much more evident and sharp. Too precise for my taste, but again, the client loved it, so what could I say?

In his defense, he has been getting a stellar response in his meetings with prospective customers, so I guess he was right...

I waffle back and forth about the file damage and vignette. Why use it at all? How much is too much? I mean, it's copying the look of a film that has been badly preserved! Wouldn't we rather see the footage undamaged? Yet, clients love it...

The vignette has some positive effect. It focuses the attention to the centre, and removes us a bit, but at the expense of tunnel vision, as you noted.

Anyway, long response to a simple critique. Thanks for watching and giving your opinion. Always appreciated. And you have confirmed what I suspected anyway.

Cheers,
Vito

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques