DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting my first wedding with my new DVX100 tomorrow! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/9733-shooting-my-first-wedding-my-new-dvx100-tomorrow.html)

Glen Elliott May 16th, 2003 07:36 PM

Shooting my first wedding with my new DVX100 tomorrow!

I've been doing wedding videography for about a short while now. I started on a Sony TRV-17 and upgraded to the GL-1. Since then I recently upgraded a second time to the DVX100. I'm a little nervous because this will be my first paid gig with the new cam. I'm comfortable witht he GL-1 and was initialy half-tempted to bring that instead of the DVX just due to familiarity.
All week I've been shooting with it trying to get a feel of the weight and layout of it. I dont want to have to fumble around to adjust the iris or white balance. I wanna be able to reach without looking- if you know what I mean. The time it takes to tilt the camera to look at the buttons you might lose a good shot in an event videography setting. I've also been trying to decide if I'm going to do the ceremony completly on tripod, or Varizoom LSP brace. I'm not to keen on handheld because there was noticable shake last time on my telephoto shots- though, then again I failed to remove the wide-angle adapter on my GL-1 prior to shooting in the church...like a newbie.

Anyway I'll let you guys know how I fend with the DVX in my first event videography gig.....but darn I just can't help but think I'm forgetting to learn something about the camera. Like I'll be on the spot and fumbling with it to find a setting. Oh well, I'm probably being overly anxious- it's my 3rd Wedding. Tomorrow will be the test. I'll update you guys how it went if your interested. Have a great weekend everyone!

Yang Wen May 18th, 2003 09:11 AM

Re: Shooting my first wedding with my new DVX100 tomorrow!

Hey, maybe you can post some images from this wedding, esp low-light images in 24P or 30P. I'd like to know how does this camera do in low-light wedding settings. I'm in the process of buying one myself for event videography.

Thanks

Glen Elliott May 18th, 2003 07:00 PM

Well I'm done and everything seemed to go smoothly. I only got the chance to check a small portune of my footage but it turned out exceptionally clear and crisp. The colors look a hair less saturated than on my GL-1 though I was shooting in F1 (sceen) mode and left the settings for chroma level untouched.
The only thing that I was dissapointed in was certian sceens in the reception where the DJ was speaking became extremely distorted. I never set the audio settings down on my camera. Apparently even if the audio level isn't spiking it can be distorting...which is news to me. UGH I'll have to do some tricky work aligning my footage with my friends XL-1's and use his audio feed on the distorted areas. BTW- I'm using a Sennheisser ME66/K6......thus the reason for the sensitivity.

Yang, I shot in 60i (f1 sceen mode) to better match the footage of my friend's XL-1s. If you still want me to post screen captures I will...if your interested.

Yang Wen May 18th, 2003 07:20 PM

Please do Glenn. Thanks

Glen Elliott May 19th, 2003 01:33 AM

What's the best way to show photos here. Can you show them in posts by linking them in via "[img.]....[/img.]" brackets?

Ken Tanaka May 19th, 2003 01:39 AM

Glenn,
No, unfortunately you won't be able to post them here.

If you email them to me I can try to put them up on my Mac site at least temporarily.

Glen Elliott May 19th, 2003 02:14 AM

That's cool I can upload them to another forum I belong to and just link you guys to them. You wont be impressed though- if I post the unedited captures. I shot in normal (f1) 60i mode with no tweaks. Now I wish I had adjusted the master ped., and the chroma level. The footage came out quite unsaturated compared to my GL-1 footage. Then again it was a cloudy overcast day and that can tend to give colors a grey look anyway.

Glen Elliott May 19th, 2003 02:42 AM

Posted the pics in another thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9797