DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Adding Trapcode Shine (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/97504-adding-trapcode-shine.html)

Wayne Greensill June 25th, 2007 04:07 PM

Adding Trapcode Shine

Hi Guys

I seem to be getting a poor output from a piece of footage im using of a church window when I add Trapcodes, Shine.

The footage doesn't run smoothly it looks like it pulsing, if you know what I mean?

Can anyone help me with the way to set this up properly and outputing it, i'm using after effects and the footage is in PAL, 4:3.

Ger Griffin June 25th, 2007 04:53 PM

wayne,
while i havent any experience with that paricular effect im going to suggest the obvious and that is select a small segment of the clip and make different movies,
each time with a different setting ie. fields on, off, motion blur on/off etc. even try upper / lower field first.
label the title of each clip with exactly the details and then compare.
tedious i know but it has worked for me in the past.

Wayne Greensill June 25th, 2007 04:56 PM

Jesus i could be here all night lol

Peter Jefferson June 25th, 2007 07:35 PM

easy
create a layer with no effect, throw that on top of your original layer WITH the effect, now kill the opacity of the top layer down to maybe 50
This will give a cleaner rendition (or outline) of the window itself all the while alowing Shine to pass through

make sure your effect work is all done in progressive scan as interlacing with Shines and (and basic glows for that matter causes strobing. Also make sure your peak levels arent exceeding 255. If your exposures blown out, forget it

If the shot has been slowed down, render it out ON ITS OWN,
DO NOT run slowmotion with a myriad of other filters...
In turn your shine source material should only have the shine filter on it, and nothing else, try not to run too many filters when running slowmotion as pretty much all apps of this level puke when you add filters or reframe at the same time as slowing down. It messes up the slowmotion maths

this should sort out your problem, but these tips also apply to Vegas users who use the Glow or radial blur Filter to get the same results

thats my tip of the week...

Buba Kastorski June 25th, 2007 08:36 PM

I know exactly what you mean,
I do get the same thing , from time to time, using "Sony Light Rays" which is a vegas native video effect, it's very similar to Shine; I can't figure out the pattern, but shifting key frames helps (sometimes)
good luck!

Gabe Strong June 25th, 2007 11:34 PM

Make sure that Shimmer in Trapcode Shine is turned off....I think it may be on by default.

Richard Wakefield June 26th, 2007 02:15 AM

i'll go with Gabe on that one...shimmer/detail - try turning them down or off

Ger Griffin June 26th, 2007 07:07 AM

did you ever look back on one or two of your own posts and think-
wtf was i thinking? lol

Wayne Greensill June 26th, 2007 11:41 AM

Hi Again

I have tried the settings you have mentioned, turning down the shimmer detail, but I still have the problem of the footage not running smooth, more like a juddering, CRAP in other words. HELLLLPPP!

Thanks guys

Wayne Greensill June 26th, 2007 11:44 AM

I forgot to mention I am exporting as a avi file is this correct or do I need to export it another way?

Wayne

Richard Wakefield June 26th, 2007 02:12 PM

firstly, if you're using PPro2, did you know you can import your AE project into your timeline
- to save on disk space
- to render out with your final project

secondly, avi is fine...how do you render out? the 'make movie' option, or the export option where you select the type of avi and compression etc? maybe talk us through the steps you're taking.

have you tried rendering out a clip NOT using shine?

is your AE composition keeping to your original framerate? e.g. 25fps? that might explain juddering..

Michael W. Niece June 26th, 2007 03:21 PM

Richard - the AEP importing to PPro only works if you have the Production Studio license, by the way.

Wayne, try exporting the video to another format like WMV. If it plays okay that way then maybe your file has a huge bitrate that your computer can't play smoothly. You didn't indicate what codec for the AVI you were using, but it sounds like you're using one like Microsft DV. Trying using something like Video 1 or something like that (just for testing and troubleshooting). If you *are* using a DV codec have you tried putting the file to a DVD project and watching it on your DVD player?

-Michael

Wayne Greensill June 26th, 2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 703194)
firstly, if you're using PPro2, did you know you can import your AE project into your timeline
- to save on disk space
- to render out with your final project

secondly, avi is fine...how do you render out? the 'make movie' option, or the export option where you select the type of avi and compression etc? maybe talk us through the steps you're taking.

have you tried rendering out a clip NOT using shine?

is your AE composition keeping to your original framerate? e.g. 25fps? that might explain juddering..

Hi Richard

I have tried both ways you have mentioned in your last quote, Export option and the Make Movie option.

The composition framerate is still at 25fps, do I need to up the framerate?

I'm unable to import the AE Project into PP2 as i don't have the Adobe Link, which I think is a Con by Adobe.

Anyway i'm going to keep plodding on with this till I get it right, hopefully.

Thanks for the advice aggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Wayne

Pete Costanzo June 26th, 2007 07:49 PM

Footage Pulsing or Stuttering

Did you shoot the footage with pulldown of some sort 2:3 2:3:3:2, and if so did you remove the pulldown on import? You can easily tell, if you step through the footage frame by frame, you should run into an interlaced frame or two, followed by progressive frames. If that's the case, you need to handle your pulldown. Just an idea... but that usually gives a pulsing/stuttering look.

Richard Wakefield June 27th, 2007 03:18 AM

whoah, i actually didn't realise Abobe link only came with Production suite...i couldn't work without it now that i'm used to it, i'm so glad i bought that now!!! (sorry that doesn't help you, but just wanted to air that :)

i'm sure some of the techy answers will help...which monitor/grahics card do you have?

p.s. keeping it on 25fps will be fine...maybe check the codecs/compressions of your output, i assume you've tried uncompressed?