DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting workflow? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/97721-shooting-workflow.html)

Urban Skargren June 28th, 2007 04:14 AM

Shooting workflow?

Hi!
I'm entering the wedding film business and I would like to hear your shooting workflow, just shortly; how you shoot, mic and light the wedding and party. Where you stand and where you put the mics and lamps. Maybe this could be a thread without product discussion, just the workflow of the actual shooting.
Thanks

Paul J Carey June 28th, 2007 11:43 AM

What is your current setup? One or two cameras? How are you capturing audio? Etc...

I'm pretty new to all this too so I don't have an elaborate set up. I have one XL2 camera, an iRiver for audio and a Manfrotto tripod. Very bare bones. So my workflow is quite different than many of the more experienced experts here. Because I only have one camera, I have to get a lot of B-roll to cover up movements and screw ups. I always show up at the rehearsal not only to get some extra shots but also to understand where I need to be. In both the weddings I have done, I have started at the front of the church shooting down the center aisle. Once the bride comes down, I hurry around the back and set up straight down the center aisle. I mic the groom shortly before the ceremony and make sure the mic is at a level to pick up the brides audio as well.

I do NOT light low light situations like the reception. There are many that do which is great. And their footage probably is better than mine. But I don't feel right about drawing any more attention to myself than necessary. People should be noticing the B&G, not the videographer. But this is something I discuss with the couple prior to the wedding. If they want me to use a light, I will.

Try to have an assistant with you. My wife come with me and has extra batteries, tapes and misc items in case I need something quick. She also brings a digital camera to capture some still images I can use if needed. Bottom line, you can't over-prepare. Write it all out and have a plan of action before the big day. Roll with the punches, it won't go 100% as planned. Good luck!!!

Urban Skargren June 28th, 2007 01:06 PM

Two 3ccd cams, 1 radio lav on the groom, one cardioid mic on a stand, one furred and shock-mounted shotgun on a cam, one mini-fur in my pocket for the lav (these last things for the running-out afterwards). Two operators at the ceremony, else just me. At the ceremony I want both cams on the same side, due to not crossing continuity line. I'd like reaction shots during the ceremony, there's a lot of emotion going on there. What do you think of having one cam on a side preaching platform (2 meters up)? Will it still look good mixed with a floor-based cam? I think it'd work.

What do you do to escape attention? I wouldn't like to attend a wedding where camera people are running all over the place.

Would be cool though to have three remote-controlled mini-cams, sitting mixing everything live at the rear with a little flatscreen rack.