Missing Tape - How would you handle this? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 18th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #16
Major Player

You could also get really fancy and cut out different parts of the picture and layer them at different depths, giving the photo actual dimension. Seen it done before, but I'm not that big into using such an effect yet.
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:17 AM   #17
Major Player

What Mike said.

That is all.

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have just experienced this recently (unfortunately). In almost 10 years I have lost only 2 tapes, both times they were for people I already knew and last minute jobs.
On this last one I had already given them almost half off my regular price (I am a wicked softy!) The tape I lost was one of 4 tapes, it was a 3 camera ceremony with 2 cams at the reception. So the tape I lost was 1 camera from the ceremony and the 1st half of the reception.
They were not in a hurry so they told me to just keep an eye out for it for a while and see if it turns up. I looked for four agonizing months and then went into editing.
It turned out to be a good video after all, but I still gave them $200 back on top of the several hundred I had already discounted them.
I didn't refund the money because I felt it was a bad video, but because I needed to punish myself so I wouldn't let it happen again.

I just feel better now, knowing that I am not the only videographer who has ever lost a tape!

Mark G
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ganglfinger View Post
I just feel better now, knowing that I am not the only videographer who has ever lost a tape!
Certainly not! As for me, I have just intensified my Type-A'ness. I now double-check the camera cases before I leave and do a tape count to make sure no tapes are missing.

For the original couple in question, I did a pretty outstanding job on their video without the missing footage. I've offered the bride 2 extra DVD copies and $100 off of her video as a consolation for the missing footage. I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by Travis Cossel; July 22nd, 2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 09:48 AM   #20
Major Player

good for you Travis,
what doesn't kill us will only make us stronger.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Miracle!!!

So the most unbelievalbe thing happened yesterday. I found the missing tape. It was with the next wedding's tapes. The thing is, I went through those tapes back when I was looking for the missing tape. Honestly this is a miracle. I can't tell you guys how hard I was praying for this tape to turn up, and now it has. Never underestimate the power of prayer.

Anyways, so I had already finished the edit and contacted the couple. They weren't sure about things and had requested to view the video to see what I had done. I agreed, but I was nervous as you might imagine.

But then I found the tape and told the couple yesterday. They were soooo happy. It turns out the father of the groom had been "giving them sh*t" ever since they started talking about paying for a professional video. He felt it was a waste of money to pay for a "so-called Spielberg". This poor couple did it anyways and endured more crap from him until the tape came up missing, and that obviously gave him an opportunity to really give it to them. I tell you guys this because we need to always understand that we might not know what issues the couple is dealing with behind the scenes.

Anyways, now I'm back to a perfect record of no lost tapes, thank God! Although I have to go back and do a re-edit of the reception now, I'm still very happy. If nothing else, now I at least have a system for making sure all tapes are accounted for BEFORE I leave the reception.
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Glad it all worked out, now go make us all proud <wink>!

Make sure you serve up a side of BBQ sauce for that dish of crow - I'll bet that video makes the FOG all tear-y eyed <wink>!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #23
Major Player

The WORD never comes back empty. ;-)

You should give the father the version with the missing tape since in the spiritual world he caused the tape to be misplaced. (Just Kidding about giving the father the missing tape version. The rest I truly believe)
Old July 25th, 2007, 03:25 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Yeah, I think I'll let the B&G serve him the crow and BBQ sauce, lol.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques