Sales Tax at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 4th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sales Tax

Question on itemizing sales tax on contracts/reciept.

When I got my business tax id here in Los Angeles, I received two types. I got one for website services or what they consider multimedia services and a separate one for the photo/video portion of the business.

I was told that I need to charge taxes in the photo aspect of the business since I'm delivering a tangible item, the printed photos themselves.

For video, do you all charge sales tax since you are handing over a tangible item on DVD?

Thanks for answering this newbie question.
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Manacsa View Post
Question on itemizing sales tax on contracts/reciept.

When I got my business tax id here in Los Angeles, I received two types. I got one for website services or what they consider multimedia services and a separate one for the photo/video portion of the business.

I was told that I need to charge taxes in the photo aspect of the business since I'm delivering a tangible item, the printed photos themselves.

For video, do you all charge sales tax since you are handing over a tangible item on DVD?

Thanks for answering this newbie question.

This is one of those questions where you simply MUST talk to a local attorney or tax accountant familiar with both your business situation and the tax regulations in your specific location. They're the only people who can give you any reliable information..
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Manacsa View Post
YES! Don't fool with the CA State Board of Equalization. Charge CA sales tax.

I called them myself and was told very directly.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yes! to repeat what Justin said. I have never had a client that had a problem with this... even though they may have to pay a hundred or so dollars just for the tax.

Besides, by charging tax, it helps your image - in that you look established. Fly by night operations don't charge tax.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response everyone. I looked over some contracts of established local video services and found they itemized sales tax as well. For my current gig this weekend, I absorbed the sales tax but itemized it on the contract so they know I'm a serious law abiding service provider.

I added fine print to my ad to state, "plus 8.25% California Sales Tax" so I don't have to absorb it in the future.

-- baby steps --
-- baby steps --
-- baby steps --

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques