Mic's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mic's

I have a stupid question but I need some help. I am using a wireless mic (On the groom) during my weddings, but I use the my GL2 on-board mic before the groom makes his way out front. My problem is when I go to plug in the wireless mic I always get the break sound on the tape. So my question is: How can I use the on-board mic but switch to the wireless without having to hear that break in audio?

Gary
Gary Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Gary,

If you can run audio via 2 seperate channels(one left, one right), this will do the trick. You can also simply mix out the switch in post(very easy to do), if you are not running two seperate audio channels in the cam.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Joe,

Thanks, I have tried taking it out in post, but then I get a small no-audio on the tape. Another question is how do I use the on-board mic when I have to plug the wireless in? I mean once I plug the wirless in I lose the on-board on my GL2

G
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Randall View Post
Joe,
Thanks, I have tried taking it out in post, but then I get a small no-audio on the tape. Another question is how do I use the on-board mic when I have to plug the wireless in? I mean once I plug the wirless in I lose the on-board on my GL2

G
You could just wait for a quiet moment to switch between the two mics and use "room noise" in the small gap. That's what I would do.

In terms of using both mic's at once I don't think the GL-2 can handle that. It's one source or the other. I've never been able to use both the onboard and an external mic on the GL-2's I've used.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys, big help. A friend of mind said something about using a Switcher. Have you guys heard of this? and if so, do you know where I can buy one?

Gary
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Major Player

You just might be better off adding another recording source somewhere to pick up those ambient church sounds.

Even a single chipper cam would work and you could put this anywhere you wanted. I used to do this with an old cam that had pixel burnout. Makes a nice audio backup too.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Gary,

The GL-2 will not allow using the on-camera mic while something is plugged in to the mic jack. However, you can use a second external mic for ambient, and use the wireless for the groom, if you get an adapter of some type. A simple "Y" adapter will put each mic on it's own channel. A passive mixer such as the Beachtek (and others) will let you mix the sources to both channels OR keep them seperate. As mentioned above, a second camera's audio can also be introduced during post. I've done all of these, including just plugging in the mic as the bride stops beside the groom. (during that slight pause just before the pastor speaks)

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes for you.

Good luck!

Mark

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques