Photographer Behavior - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 5th, 2007, 01:16 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Wozniak View Post
Anyway, the reception hall was packed, and I have some very amateur looking footage from the camera while I moved it to a new location.
that is frustrating. just explain it to the bride and groom and they should understand. nothing you can really do about. can't reshoot it.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Johnson View Post
that is frustrating. just explain it to the bride and groom and they should understand.
Heck, no explaining necessary... it's on tape for all the world to see. :)

Plus, the idiot turned around and knew he was in the way. I love it when they shoot themselves in the foot. :)
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #48
Major Player

I feel the pain. I've come across many photographers who just don't give a damn. My first wedding I ever shot professionally had the rear camera completely blocked by the 250lb photographer who stood there even after I first approached him (he had moved my camera so he could stand in the spot).

I've also encountered my last wedding (a party of 60 people) and the photographer had herself and two assistants (the video looks like a disco with all the flashing; even the B&G had enough by the end of the reception).

I shot another wedding where a friend of the Bride not only stood in front of me during the ceremony (yes I tried repositioning several times), but he actually stood on the alter with his $200 camera (the priest had warned me that if I even came close to the alter he would stop the ceremony and make me leave). The funny thing is I did my best to fix this in post (I had three camera's running; two manned) and I tried to creatively 'cut' out the friend. When I watched the video with the B&G she became furious with her friend for doing what he did (unfortunately it was obvious in the video; he seemed to pop up in every shot) and she called him up to b*tch him out. She knew it wasn't my fault and she thought the video was outstanding.

At the end of the day it's really about how well we can do our job (despite numerous headaches).

Todd
Todd Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
so the option to get back in the game is something we're still holding open.
Hey Chris, I'll keep you in mind when if I need a third operator, although you'll have to supply your own gear and buy lunch for the crew. Thanks for sharing that story, I found it interesting. I'm not sure about the rave scene, but our goal is to branch out, I'd like to get into the local band scene, since I learned audio PA systems from a young child. Anyway, thanks for sharing Chris.
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:20 AM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for the offer, Steve, much appreciated. Shall I assume that I'm on my own for travel expenses to and from Virginia? Whatever it takes, because I could really use the experience!

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Thanks for the offer, Steve, much appreciated. Shall I assume that I'm on my own for travel expenses to and from Virginia? Whatever it takes, because I could really use the experience!

;-)

I'll teach you all I know. Bring a postit pad.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:15 AM   #52
Tourist

I have fond memories

Ugh. Before a wedding, I had one who asked me to move my position
on the far side of an alter (it was wide). Basically, he was
trying to intimidate. I stood my ground and we were
about to step outside for a brawl. A priest interupted
us. Pretty dumb event. Still, I was such an old hand
I knew during the vows he and another were planning to
block my tripod view. No problem-2 were in shock when
they looked over their shoulder and I was hand held
right between their shoulders.
This was many years ago and I chuckle at the
ignorance of it all. Blocking a shot is damaging a couple's
property. These days, video is much more accepted,
so I'm sure things are less primitive in encounter.
I've talked with photog friend who say some video guys
are disrespectful to them as well.
I do believe, however- as one poster wrote: "Don't let a photographer
push you around." Thanks for sharing-

Respect everyone..family drunks and all (we can edit them
later- unless they're cute and funny).
Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:14 AM   #53
Trustee

Getting back at one.

I usually don't do wedding except for special requests from very close friends or relatives. I was videoing one several years ago. Before the wedding, the photographer was taking pictures of the B&G getting ready and when I started to set up he walked right up to me and informed me that I could not video while he was shooting. He said "these are my scenes". OK, no biggy. Now the reception was held at a country club, and yes, he did everything possible to get in my way. During the reception I noticed someone on the driving range, about 75 yards from the party. I explained to the golfer that I was doing a wedding and that I would buy him a bucket of balls if he would let the members of the wedding party use his clubs for a few minutes. So picture this, the entire wedding party in their tux's and dresses driving golfballs. A fun shot. Well here comes the photographer. He started to get set up when I informed him that these were "my scenes and not to take pictures while I was filming". He did not like that and kind of told me where I could go. I then politly informed him that if I saw him shooting during my scenes I would rip the film out of his camera. He did not take any more pictures, nor did he get in my way again. Oh, by the way, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Bob
Bob Safay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:30 AM   #54
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Safay View Post
I then politly informed him that if I saw him shooting during my scenes I would rip the film out of his camera. He did not take any more pictures, nor did he get in my way again. Oh, by the way, I grew up in Brooklyn, NY. Bob
Thanks for the laugh Bob.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #55
Major Player

well done Bob.
We are invisible to most photographers.
I use to work in the family business where my dad was the photog and I video.
It was the only good working arangement Ive ever had with a photographer.

Basically he'd give me the extra time on each setup I might need to capture it on video. Now im talking only seconds. But it made a huge difference to the finished videos and to my editing job.

Recently I've noticed a lot of photog's are bringing someone else with them to work the candids, etc. - double trouble. trying to keep them out of shots is next to impossible.

Im actually thinking of covering this subject with the B&G before the wedding.

Just last week the photogrpaher arranged with the driver, not the B&G to stop in a location for photos on the way from the church to hotel.
Do you think he told me about it?

I think the importance people are placing on Wedding Video coverage is on the increase and this problem needs to be addressed with every photog constantly until they realise we are the future!
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Mulitiple photog's are a pain. They get in the way more than necessary and end up ruining many shots. The B&G often let me know that the photos are the most important thing. For these weddings I talk to the photog and let them know I'll do the best to work around them and not be in their way. Even the "God" types don't really have a problem with me. I haven't actually had a confrontation with one yet. Though I can feel the annoyance between us at times.

I had a "God" type tell me that if he asked the B&G to "bend over" they would do it. It was kind of shocking and disrespectful. The couple was super nice and awesome to work with.
Sean Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques