DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I dont normally share, but tonight I will (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/98758-i-dont-normally-share-but-tonight-i-will.html)

Jim Fields July 12th, 2007 01:32 AM

I dont normally share, but tonight I will

So, I watch video done by Patrick, and all of those other guys who make me feel...well s***y about what I do, you guys really do rock, and are lucky to get clients who will let you do that stuff.

Anyway. A few months ago I filmed a wedding at The Gaylord Texan and used my JVC HD110U, I came back with good clean crisp footage and left it like that.

What I am sharing tonight is a clip I uploaded to You Tube of the DVD Menu I made for the DVD with some of the footage. I used Motion and Final Cut pro. The clip itself is actually 5 separate clips.

Anyway, ramble ramble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeN07N6Tasw

Tell me what ya think.

Jim

Noa Put July 12th, 2007 01:55 AM

Eventhough it was a short clip I thought it was very original using an existing guestbook as menu, didn't see that before and you gave me an idea for my next wedding. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Bill Anciaux July 12th, 2007 02:50 AM

Cool idea for an original menu, Jim. I hope you'll share more of your work.

Bill

Jim Fields July 12th, 2007 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 710755)
Eventhough it was a short clip I thought it was very original using an existing guestbook as menu, didn't see that before and you gave me an idea for my next wedding. :)
Thanks for sharing.

That is just the clip before the menu, it extends for another 2 minutes after that. That is the auto play file.

Thanks guys.

I dont share because I dont like my work, I am my own worst critic.

Noa Put July 12th, 2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Fields (Post 710769)
I dont share because I dont like my work, I am my own worst critic.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, sharing can give you a better understanding about your work as seen through the eye's of others. My clients are my critics and I listen very carefully to what they say after they see the weddingvideo. I don't take everything into consideration because you can't make everybody happy but I take with me what I find important as long if it's in line with my film- and editing style, that's something they see before they hire me based on my demo's.

You said you don't like your work, you showed just one very short piece and I liked it very much, so there you go, it can't be that bad.

Richard Wakefield July 12th, 2007 03:27 AM

yeah i agree...don't put urself down...you've showed that you can be inventive, original and not reliant on templates

Patrick Moreau July 12th, 2007 05:57 AM

I think it is a great idea for a menu opening. I think I'm going to try something more along these lines in the near future as my menus and opening have been quite simple.

Patrick

Monday Isa July 12th, 2007 06:05 AM

Hey Jim,
Very creative idea! Thanks for sharing that. Don't know if you noticed but you can freeze the frame 2 seconds before. It will allow you to get rid of the minimum wobble for the 2 seconds b4 you actually freezed it. You did mention though that the video continues from there on, so really no way around but slow motion, and that may not be your flavor which is quite understandable. Thanks for sharing.

Monday

Jim Fields July 12th, 2007 11:23 AM

Funny story about this...

It was an accidental edit. We all get those, projects going along, things look good, you slap that one clip off to the side and there you go, perfect fit.

Anyway, the whole thing took me like 4 hours to do. It was a matter of cutting it in the right spot, speeding up/down to match the length of the music, and cutting it up just right so I could use a clip for the menu in DVDSP.

I am not hard on myself, I expect better each time. Alot of it is limitation. 99% of my work comes from a party and event client that either gives me DVCAM tapes to edit, or sends me out with my HD camera to shoot. Of those projects not one of them gives me the flexibility to do what People Like Patrick get to do. So I look at his movies, and look at mine and think...man, my stuff sucks.

I wont post a link, but cruise through my You Tube Material and see what I have, I am uploading a ton of new material today along with what I did last night.

However, thanks for the compliment and that you guys are wanting to try this out. I shoot 3-4 things for possible DVD menus at each event.

Jason Donaldson July 15th, 2007 10:22 AM

Jim, I thought the menu was fantastic. Great original idea.

My question is how did you get a video clip of the menu? Could you explain to me how you did this, as I would like to be able to show samples of DVD menus on my site.

Thanks,
Jason

Jim Fields July 15th, 2007 12:43 PM

Well Since I build all of my menu's with either Motion or FCP, it is just a matter of posting the video on You Tube.

Make sense?

All I am doing is making 2 videos. Well it is still one video but for DVD purposes it is 2. I have the one video split into 2 so One of them will play as soon as you put the dvd in a player, once that video ends it jumps to the menu which is the second half.
When I am in DVDSP I just set my buttons invisible and set activation visibility to only when you "scroll".

DVDSP is my all time favorite program, I can do so much with it. I did a "Lost" Like DVD Menu for a High School Volleyball Video I did. I should post those Menu's up on You TUbe for you guys to see.

Sean Johnson July 15th, 2007 01:07 PM

I know what you mean by being your own worst critic. Thats not a bad thing when it drives us to become better. I don't always think highly of everyone's work, but I really thought your menu was classy. Great work!

Jason Donaldson July 24th, 2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Fields (Post 712390)
Well Since I build all of my menu's with either Motion or FCP, it is just a matter of posting the video on You Tube.

Make sense?

All I am doing is making 2 videos. Well it is still one video but for DVD purposes it is 2. I have the one video split into 2 so One of them will play as soon as you put the dvd in a player, once that video ends it jumps to the menu which is the second half.
When I am in DVDSP I just set my buttons invisible and set activation visibility to only when you "scroll".

DVDSP is my all time favorite program, I can do so much with it. I did a "Lost" Like DVD Menu for a High School Volleyball Video I did. I should post those Menu's up on You TUbe for you guys to see.

Sorry for the delay in response...vacation

Anyway, I guess I'm still not following you about getting samples of the DVD menu itself. I just want to be able to creat a "video clip of menus I create for my website."

And yes I would love to see the lost style menu.

Jim Fields July 24th, 2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson (Post 717978)
Sorry for the delay in response...vacation

Anyway, I guess I'm still not following you about getting samples of the DVD menu itself. I just want to be able to creat a "video clip of menus I create for my website."

And yes I would love to see the lost style menu.

Well, if what I think your talking about is this.....having a demo of your DVD Menu in a QT format, then this might be a better answer for you...

Open the finished DVD in the finder. Nav through to the Video TS folder, open each .VOB file one by one with MpegStreamclip until you find your DVD Menu. Export to the format you need.

Should work if thats what you mean.

Noa Put July 25th, 2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Fields (Post 718103)
Well, if what I think your talking about is this.....having a demo of your DVD Menu in a QT format, then this might be a better answer for you...

Open the finished DVD in the finder. Nav through to the Video TS folder, open each .VOB file one by one with MpegStreamclip until you find your DVD Menu. Export to the format you need.

Should work if thats what you mean.

If you have encore cs3 you can export the dvd menu including demo video's directly to flash. This is by far the best new feature I noticed coming from version 1.5
Now my clients can navigate through my demo's in a dvd menu as they would on their tv but then directly in a flash movie on my website.