Why does my Media Go Offline? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 30th, 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Why does my Media Go Offline?

I am doing my ending credits for my movie, but when I am in the middle of doing them, it says that my Media has gone off line. What could be the cause of this? I have very little ram, by the way. Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Mine will say that if Vegas does not have the focus (i.e. I open up another program). When Vegas loses focus, it releases the files it has open. As soon as I return to Vegas, the "offline" message goes away.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Major Player

I pretty much think that is what's going on. I have an insanely low amount of ram, and as my project gets bigger and bigger, Vegas has a harder time handling all of the information. The problem is fixed once I restart the program, though. This is totally due to my lack of ram, I can see that now.
Old July 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #4
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gipson View Post
This is totally due to my lack of ram, I can see that now.
Are you "working" Vegas and using media on one drive? How much RAM do you have? What are your system specs? Defragged recently? Space on your system drive? Separate drives for media? How's your Vegas TEMP folder? Empty?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:32 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Are you "working" Vegas and using media on one drive? How much RAM do you have? What are your system specs? Defragged recently? Space on your system drive? Separate drives for media? How's your Vegas TEMP folder? Empty?

Grazie
I only have one gig of Ram (for HDV footage), should I do all these things to make Vegas run smoother?

I do have separate drives for Video and Audio and I am running a Core 2 Duo @ 2.67 ghz.
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Old Boot

Should you do "all" these things? Up to you chum! But it would appear, you have done most of it already?

I would like to here from somebody that adding more RAM to your DUO will make for a better HD experience. It might be something other?

Regards,

Grazie
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
Should you do "all" these things? Up to you chum! But it would appear, you have done most of it already?

I would like to here from somebody that adding more RAM to your DUO will make for a better HD experience. It might be something other?

Regards,

Grazie
Well, what I mean is, is it SAFE to do all the things that you recommended. I'm sorry, I'm just paranoid about tinkering with my system since I am at the end of my project.
Old July 31st, 2007, 08:33 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gipson View Post
Well, what I mean is, is it SAFE to do all the things that you recommended. I'm sorry, I'm just paranoid about tinkering with my system since I am at the end of my project.
You say you're at the end of your project? At the END or finished with the project?

You know what, I can't help any further.

So, finish your project. Excellent idea. Get that out of the way and make small incremental improvements to your system when and only when you are ready to do so.

For me this meant doing research and spending time reading and asking more questions. When I'm come up against a knowledge block, I ask questions.

You've asked questions during a period that you aren't wishing to make changes. Fine, I hear you. Then DON'T!! Do it when you are ready.

Regards

Grazie
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Its got nothing to do with ram or anything like that

Because Vegas uses live updates (ie timeline updates as required), any changes made to files within Vegas (running) are allowed (through the registry) in turn, you can have Vegas open with media "offline" and then cut or tweak them in another instance, or for stills, use CS3 while tweaking the SAME image that's sitting in your vegas timeline.

Its a media management feature which IMO works great BUT, if you're running firewire drives, be aware that the MBR of the drives in which your media lives is constantly written each time the media goes offline. Reason I mention firewire is becuase Vegas comms with Windows sometimes flakes out. IDE/Sata & USB drives shouldn't have a problem. This could be more of a Windows issue...

Also as this purely relies on Windows registry for permission to overwrite files in use, you gotta make sure your registry is clean of junk.

Now with Vegas offline, and lets say you tweak a JPG... once you save that jpg, it will automatically update to the new saves image, i.e., you don't have to re-import.

As Vegas is a free format app, having this ability requries constant refreshing. I like it.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...