DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas taking 9 hours to render???? Why? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/100135-vegas-taking-9-hours-render-why.html)

Troy Alan July 31st, 2007 01:40 AM

Vegas taking 9 hours to render???? Why?

Hi,
I have just finished editing my first "Vegas" project. It was very easy to use and I was impressed overall. I am now rendering it out and for a 40 minute project it says it will take 9 hours.

I have a dualcore P4 3.2ghz with 1GB Ram. The footage was shot in hd but downconverted out of the z1p to SD during capture.

I am sure I have probably missed a button/switch/setting somewhere but not sure where to look.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Troy

Laurence Kingston July 31st, 2007 02:01 AM

That's pretty long for an SD render on a fast machine. The one thing that will make Vegas take absolutely forever to render is if you choose "3D source alpha" as your compositing mode on any of your tracks. If you need that effect, usually it's just on a tiny section. Render just that section that needs it in the 3D Source Alpha mode. Regular Source Alpha or any of the other modes beneath "the line" are fine.

There are some plugins that will increase render times horribly as well. "Magic Bullet" is one of these.

Merlin Vandenbossche July 31st, 2007 04:18 AM

I've just finished rendering 20hrs for a 50 minute SD program (P4 2.4ghz, 1024 RAM)

Vegas is a render-hog!

Don Bloom July 31st, 2007 06:02 AM

actually thats not the only thing that makes Vegas rendsers take a while.
Median FX, heavy CC, Of course any Magic Bullet FX, pretty much any of the FX will suck up resources on a render.
SOLUTION: If you are going to put the finsihed product on DVD OR even WMV why not render to DV-AVI FIRST-this renders much faster thru the FX and now you have a FINISHED product that you can render out to anything you want in a much less resource heavy format. I know the MIGHT be a very very very slight degradation of quality but in all th eyears I've been doing it that way neither I nor my clients have ever really noticed it.

Anytime you take a Vegas project straight off to MPEG with lots of FXs it is going to take a really long time and frankly, IMO, the longer the machins is rendering the more chances of something going wrong. Is it just me but I hate it when the render is say 63% done and the machince crashes or the project gets hung up.
Well it's just my way of doing things but it's been working really well for me for a long time so I thought I'd pass it along.

Don

Steven Thomas July 31st, 2007 06:04 AM

In Vegas preferences, under preview, change your dynamic ram setting to zero when rendering. Change it back to when editing.

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 31st, 2007 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merlin Vandenbossche (Post 721056)
I've just finished rendering 20hrs for a 50 minute SD program (P4 2.4ghz, 1024 RAM)

Vegas is a render-hog!

Vegas isn't any more nor less a "render hog" than any other application. As mentioned, certain filters can cause longer renders to occur, depending on their spatial or temporal effect on the video.
Additionally, some filters are optimized better than others.
Setting RAM to 0 if you don't have a lot of stills is a good idea.
Some machines require render threads to be shifted from the default 4 to a value of 2.
It's like a car; you need to balance the engine with the rest of the equipment on the car. Same with balancing Vegas with your machine.

Laurence Kingston July 31st, 2007 09:27 PM

Vegas is the only application (as far as I know) that will smart-render Cineform. If you are working with a Cineform project, renders in Vegas can be way faster than anything else because this.

Peter Jefferson July 31st, 2007 10:53 PM

Vegas renders faster than realtime if managed correctly

the comment re-magic bullet is slightly innacurate as MB2 uses GPU acceleration. Since MB2, and on anything on or over a 6800GS, u should get realtime, if not faster

in regard to renders, it really depends on what your rendering, how your rendering (ie what format) what filters are used (more precisely, in what sequence your filters are arranged per chain, track motion or event pan and crop (ie scaling) etc etc

Vegas is far from being a render hog...
I have a 3.0 extreme single core CPU with 1gb ram on one of my machines and HDV renders about 1.5 realtime

Troy Alan August 1st, 2007 07:14 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. I have changed the settings as suggested and had a slight increase in render time. Still nowhere near real time or even 1.5-2x real time. It is a shame as I really enjoyed editing on Vegas. I will keep hacking away and see if I can tweak the system abit.

Thanks again.
Troy