OT: free fonts at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

OT: free fonts

Themed fonts
305 of them in 4 categories (TV / Movie-related, Music/Band, Games-related, Miscellaneous).

Dingbats
328 of them in 15 categories.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Has this site been around for awhile. Actually the real question is - is it likely to disappear soon. Do we need to download these now or as we need them.
Thanks
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Terry, that's a good question.
According to their Support page, they used to be known as Fonts-Now until they had host problems.
It's 3 guys doing it because they like to.
Towards the bottom of this page, they do make a request for contributions.
With that in mind, I'd think that the site could disappear at any time (like a lot of other labour-of-love sites have) so, if there's anything you like, grab it now and store it away for future use.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Major Player

My question would be....who would have the rights to these? Assuming that the movie/music/tv etc producers have created their own unique fonts for their works then I would assuming it's a huge liability risk to use copy cat fonts in any other production without the original creators consent. I love the fonts, I just don't want to be sued.
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Major Player

My question is, who uses the "dingbat" or "wingding" fonts, or whatever they're called? I never saw a purpose in them...
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris
My question is, who uses the "dingbat" or "wingding" fonts, or whatever they're called? I never saw a purpose in them...
I have. Sometimes you simply need a unique shape that's found in one of them.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hooey View Post
My question would be....who would have the rights to these? Assuming that the movie/music/tv etc producers have created their own unique fonts for their works then I would assuming it's a huge liability risk to use copy cat fonts in any other production without the original creators consent. I love the fonts, I just don't want to be sued.
From the site's privacy policy page:
All fonts on this site were obtained from various sources. They are all either freeware or in the public domain. If you find any on this site that have commercial copyright PLEASE notify us so we can remove them.

So go ahead and use them as you wish :-)
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
I'll second what Ed says. There are some unique shapes that can save you time. Arrows for pointing at on screen objects are the first to come to mind.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:37 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
I have. Sometimes you simply need a unique shape that's found in one of them.
I agree with Edward.
I've used various Wingdings and Dingbats over the years.
You can also colour them if you want to.
The other great thing, especially in word processing programs, is that they can be scaled up without loss of resolution.
This scaling applies in Vegas as well.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have (on a couple of occasions only) used wingding characters at very large scale in Photoshop to easily create masks. Shift N gives a great skull and crossbones!

There are other great 'character' fonts that are worth a play.

Don't forget to try out the lovely Sonata font (not sure if it's a standard Windows font or whether I've picked it up elsewhere). This one comprises a great collection of musical notation. Looks lovely scrolling in the background, blurred or used as a semitransparent mask. Don't try creating a score with it though!

Symbol is also nice in those videos we all make about ancient Greece. Whaddya mean you don't make them??
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...