DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   the device 'cirrus logic USB-DVR2' source could not be opened (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/100419-device-cirrus-logic-usb-dvr2-source-could-not-opened.html)

Guest August 3rd, 2007 10:07 AM

the device 'cirrus logic USB-DVR2' source could not be opened

Right, I'm having a number of problems capturing onto Vegas.

First of all, before I even had Vegas, when I used Pinnacle instead, a problem arose out of nowhere where when I tried to output back to the camera, the DVIn feed would fluctuate on and off as it played - like a dodgy connection. So the camera's screen would go blue, then show a bit of footage, then go blue again. I tried outputting footage from my laptop instead (4pin to 4pin) and it worked fine, so I assumed the firewire card is now faulty (it still captured footage fine, though).

I have been able to capture footage fine onto Pinnacle when the footage is either DV or DVCAM. As soon as the camera is in HD mode, however, the camera goes completely undetected.

Similarly, in Vegas, if I try to capture HD, it doesn't detect the camera. If I try the same on my laptop, however, it detects it fine.

On top of this, if I try to capture DV or DVCAM in Vegas, I get the error message shown in the title of this thread. However, on my laptop, it captures fine.

The DV Card is quite old now, it was a Pinnacle one and I think it came with Pinnacle DV 7.2 or something.

So basically it works fine on my laptop but not at all on my PC.

Any ideas? Do I need a new firewire card? I rang some guys at a computer shop and they said it 'should work'...

Seth Bloombaum August 3rd, 2007 10:29 AM

Sometimes windows will select the wrong driver for your camcorder and then nothing works as it should. You want the DVHS driver for HDV, see the instructions from Douglas Spotted Eagle in this post:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=48908

In DV/DVCAM, you want the Microsoft DV Camera and VCR driver.

There can be hardware issues. Your firewire card must be OHCI compliant (most modern ones are). Many people have reported issues with firewire cards or motherboards using VIA chipsets.

Per a suggestion from Mike Kujbida, also try this link for Sony's own customer support knowledgebase, search on http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/so...wers.search_nl for several suggestions.

Guest August 3rd, 2007 12:45 PM

Thanks, I tried that, but when I got to point 6, which refers to THIS, I couldn't find "DVHS Device" or AVC Driver listed, as it reads:

Then select not to go online to Windows Update. Select Manual, then uncheck "Show compatible hardware". Scroll down to the name of the manufacturer of the camera and select the D-VHS Device or the AV/C driver.

This, instead, is the list I'm presented with:

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ki/problem.jpg

Seth Bloombaum August 3rd, 2007 02:59 PM

Jonny, thanks for posting the screen cap, it helps.

What camera or deck are you capturing from?

And, were you on DV/DVCAM or HDV when you looked at drivers?

Guest August 3rd, 2007 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 723098)
Jonny, thanks for posting the screen cap, it helps.

What camera or deck are you capturing from?

And, were you on DV/DVCAM or HDV when you looked at drivers?

I'm capturing from a Sony HVR-A1E.

I must have been on DVCAM in order for the camera to be detected in the first place, 'cause the PC doesn't detect the camera at all in HD.

Seth Bloombaum August 3rd, 2007 05:58 PM

Ah, that explains it.

So, yes, select the sony DV driver when your camera is in DV mode.

Do your switch to HDV, use the "scan for new plug and play devices" icon in the Device Manager. Your camcorder should come back up (in HDV!), perhaps as an unknown device (will have a yellow marker on it), or, will come up mis-identified and with the wrong driver assigned. Watch for that change in device manager.

Then (camera still in HDV), see if you can now assign the DVHS driver.

Windows sees your camera as a completely different device in HDV and DV, so, you need to confirm the correct driver in each mode. You should only need to get it right once.

Guest August 3rd, 2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 723199)
Ah, that explains it.

So, yes, select the sony DV driver when your camera is in DV mode.

Do your switch to HDV, use the "scan for new plug and play devices" icon in the Device Manager. Your camcorder should come back up (in HDV!), perhaps as an unknown device (will have a yellow marker on it), or, will come up mis-identified and with the wrong driver assigned. Watch for that change in device manager.

Then (camera still in HDV), see if you can now assign the DVHS driver.

Windows sees your camera as a completely different device in HDV and DV, so, you need to confirm the correct driver in each mode. You should only need to get it right once.

Thank you! And I've just managed to fix the Cirrus logic problem, just by changing capture device... thank you very much, again!!

Chris Barcellos December 15th, 2007 01:23 PM

I think this is a Sony Vegas installation issue in setting up the program in the first place. I have the same problem in Vegas 7 and Vegas 8, but DV captures fine in Vegas 6. And I absolutely have no problem capturing DV in Premiere Pro 1.5, 2.0, and in Pinnacle Studio 10 plus and in Free Avid. So, in my view, somewhere in the change over, Vegas 7 and 8 are not detecting available capture devices properly, and a fix needs to be undertaken by the Vegas people.

Edit: Okay, so I found the device selection in Vegas 8, and was able to set it up right. Guess I haven't captured DV since 6, and that was problem. Seems to me this should be basic set up though.