DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do I make an opening & ending shot open & close like an eye? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/100431-how-do-i-make-opening-ending-shot-open-close-like-eye.html)

Michael Vaden August 3rd, 2007 11:58 AM

How do I make an opening & ending shot open & close like an eye?

I'm curious about this. I was watching a couple of music videos. (Don't remember which ones, but I think you guys know what I'm asking here.

Let's say when the video starts it's a black screen, but the shot opens up as if a person is waking up in the morning opening his/her eyes slowly. (I don't mean the picture getting blurry.)

Can anyone tell me how to do this in Vegas 7? Is it a transition, or are keyframes involved?

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 3rd, 2007 12:00 PM

If you mean the POV is from the "eyes" then I'd use a mask cut to shape, and then roll from there.

Michael Vaden August 3rd, 2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 722954)
If you mean the POV is from the "eyes" then I'd use a mask cut to shape, and then roll from there.

Thanks for the reply. By the way. Your Vegas 6 book has helped me a great deal.

I didn't mean the pov as eyes, but I will keep that tip in mind too.

What I was trying to say is that I want the opening shot to to be black then it slowly opens up until it's in widescreen. I'm having trouble trying to explain it.

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 3rd, 2007 12:22 PM

Then simply fade it in using a fade. Quarter circle upper left hand corner of the video clip, fade it in.

Michael Vaden August 3rd, 2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle (Post 723022)
Then simply fade it in using a fade. Quarter circle upper left hand corner of the video clip, fade it in.

It's not the fade I'm referring to. Think of it like a garage door opening up, except it it move up and down at the same time until it's a picture.

Just found a video showing excatly what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmTpAnLzkGQ

How do I do this?

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 3rd, 2007 12:37 PM

That would be a barn door transition, using the "out" no border preset.

Daniel Alexander August 3rd, 2007 12:42 PM

Hi michael, i think i know what you mean. Basically you want the video to open up vertically from a black screen (like opening eyes). you have to go into the 'event pan/crop' for the video track you want to do this on and then pull the top middle ancho point downwards and the picture gradually becomes cropped from top and bottom until it completly dissapears. Make sure you have done this at the start of the clip (first keyframe). Now that you have what appears to be a blank image, move the cursor on the 'event pan/crop' timeline to the place you would like the image to restore to the aspect ratio you desire, and then right click on the image (the image in event pan/crop not the main viewer) and select 'restore'. A new keyframe should be added when you do this so you now have an image which starts a blank screen and opens vertically to the normal size of the video (remember once you hit restore in the earlier step you can re-ajust the image to what ever widescreen setting you wish). Hope this helps

Daniel Alexander August 3rd, 2007 12:44 PM

didnt see douglas' last reply in time, it seems i've been doing things the long way for farrrrrr to long. BUt nether the less atleast you can do the effect now :)

Michael Vaden August 3rd, 2007 12:48 PM

Thanks you guys. So it can be done as a transition and event crop with keyframes. I appreciate both of you guys taking time out to help with this issue. Even though I've made some videos with Vegas, I don't know everything yet. I still have a while to go. Once again, thanks go out to both of you.