Is it me or does the "insert text media" suck ? ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is it me or does the "insert text media" suck ? ?

I find it very difficult to work with the text media event in Vegas. Am I the only one? For example, say I want to just fill the screen with a paragraph of text. When I paste or write the text in, there's no type of wrap feature, it just keeps going and going and going until I hit enter. Or suppose I wanted to slowly scroll a lot of text from the bottom of the screen, up. Can't really do it with the credits editor (another lacking feature) Trying to keyframe a lot of text like that is a pain and doesn't work right either...

Has anyone else experienced these problems or do I just not know what I'm doing?
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I feel your pain.

I love Vegas, but its titling capabilities are lackluster. Currently I am left weighing the purchase of After Effects, almost entirely because of its titling capabilities.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok good, I'm not the only one.. I picked Vegas because of how easy it is to use for someone with zero experience in NLE which is where I started. I'm not a pro by any means but Vegas at least allows me to get what I need to get done, done. For that reason, I know how complex Adobe products are, with the exception of Encore DVD which I use for my DVD authoring,,, I won't look at using another product so big and robust for such simple things like text on the screen. Vegas just needs to be improved in this area.
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Major Player

Although, not the greatest, I don't find it that much of a problem.Do you output to a NTSC monitor to view results as you type?
I think adding word wrap could pose it's own set of problems.As in when you want to scroll across the bottom of the screen.
Seems easy to set type size, enter text as per your formatting, hit enter to set next line all while monitoring NTSC monitor so your in the safe area.
You can scroll text up or down screen pretty easy too.Open the media generator and choose " credit roll "
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It's not easy. Say I wanted to take maybe half a letter size page of text and scroll it from bottom to top in a continuous motion. You cannot use the credit roll for this, at least I have not figured out how. I tried to cut and paste it in and it takes what it can fit on one line and truncates everything else. Yes, changing the font and font size are easy to do, these are simple features that exist in every program out there. I'm sure Sony's programmers are capable of more than simple things like that when you look at the rest of Vegas... Another thing that is missing is full justification...
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Type what you want in WORD then copy and paste into the generated media not a credit roll. Check the formatting etc then go to the postition tab and move the position to the bottom-set the first keyframe there-move to the end of the media timeline move the media to the top of the frame and set a keyframe there.
Now the credit will roll up (or down or sideways-depending on how you set it) and depending on the amount of time or length of the generated media thats how fast or slow the media will roll.

Hope I made that clear-it's early and I'm still not quite awake ;-)
While Vegas titling feature is certainly lacking IF you know the limitations and can work with them it's really fairly suffienct for baout 90% of stuff you might do. HOpefully they'll improve it in Version 8
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #7
Major Player

I'm not fond of Vegas's titler, but I found it does the job for me. I keep my credits simple so I'm not looking for much. The more time I spend with it the more I find it meets my needs.

Since Vegas 4 I've been hoping that each subsequent release would have a new and more powerful titler, but no such luck. It hasn't changed one bit since V4, and maybe even prior to that. So, I've given up hope on a new titler and continue using what I've got.

If you're looking for more, there's a number of 3rd party titlers available that would give you much more functionality.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
then go to the postition tab and move the position to the bottom-set the first keyframe there-move to the end of the media timeline move the media to the top of the frame and set a keyframe there.
Yeah that's how it's supposed to go, but don't you run into trouble when you have a long amount of text, such as a news ticker scroller type setup. And you keep dragging and dragging and dragging to get to the end, then it jumps around, or doesn't start where it's supposed to, I run into that all the time...

What other titling programs are available? Are they plugins for Vegas or?
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Inner Circle

nope not a problem.First I don't just drag and drag, I set the first then the last keyframe and simple put in the number of the X,Y values.
Once you know the numbers it's pretty easy. As for other titlers, I use BLuffTitler for some stuff and actually use Photoshop for some stuff then use the method we talked about for insert. Depends on what you need but I do wish Sony improves the titler in Version 8
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #10
Trustee

It sucks, all right. You can create your titles in another application like After Effects and dump them in Vegas.
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Costantini View Post
What other titling programs are available? Are they plugins for Vegas or?
Just do a search here on Titler and you'll find lots of threads on the topic. Here's a recent one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ghlight=titler
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Major Player

I use Boris Graffiti v5 very powerful, renders take a long time however in HDV.
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...