HV20, Vegas 7.0 and Rendering time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
Major Player

HV20, Vegas 7.0 and Rendering time

I have a Core Duo @ 2.4 ghz, but my rendering times with Vegas 7.0 and HV20 24F footage is EXTREMELY slow. Could I be doing something wrong? Or is this natural? Thanks.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Gipson View Post
I have a Core Duo @ 2.4 ghz, but my rendering times with Vegas 7.0 and HV20 24F footage is EXTREMELY slow. Could I be doing something wrong? Or is this natural? Thanks.
How can you tell what is 'extremely slow' though, HD is supposed to be very demanding compared to DV

I'm finding i'm having to wait awhile as well for my renders in vegas seven, and it would be nice to know what the average rendering time is for most of you. I'm rendering a 5minute file, the entire video has multiple effects on the clips for colour correction, film grain, contast....etc. I find it takes 3-hours exactly to do fve minutes of 1080i video using the MainConcept Mpeg2 codec at about 85% quality (25000kbps)

how long would it take most of you to render a full hd file with effects, if the file was 5mins in duration? Im curious to know, to know how out-of date my pc is.

Specs: P4 3.3ghz HT 1 gig ram, Sata 7200rps 80 gig harddrive, 9600XT Video card

Also, how are your instant replays in terms of performance? I have my preview window nice and big, 960x540 because i only use one monitor. I find my computer can play video fine in real time at this size with no FX, but if i turn the FX on, the video becomes much more choppy and a bit difficult to watch. How do your systems compared, what kind of computer would you need to be able to view full HD video with several effects, in real time on the preivew window?
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=537069
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:51 AM   #4
Major Player

I started rendering out as an HDV 60i Intermediate, and now my rendering time flies. Before, with other output/rendering settings, my system was at a crawl. Of course, if I have effects/plug ins to render, then the rendering time is VERY slow. My thinking is that as long as there are no effects to process, then the rendering time should go by pretty fast (because your system is only organizing frames that are already processed)....but then it also depends on your specs. From what I hear, if you don't have a Duo Core, or a Xenon, then you're probably rendering pretty slow.

By the way, I had my CPU overclocked when I first started rendering, and then I put it back to its normal speed. The normal/default speed of my CPU is actually WAY faster, when rendering video, then its over clocked speed.
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Of course it depends on what you're rendering from/to, but my experience is my HV20 24p .m2t files generally take 4-6 times longer to render to the same output (SD DVD, .wmv, etc) than 24p DV files from my DVX100 on the same computer with similar effects/transitions. (Not that it would make a big difference in terms of render times, I don't remove pulldown on the HV20 files but I did on the DVX100 using Vegas' automatic pulldown removal.)
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Glenn:
My AMD x2 system is overclocked 30% and the render time is pretty much 30% faster, so something else must be happening to make it slow down so much.

As for render time in general, you have no doubt seen all the numerous adjustments one can make in Vegas settings. If your system is backed up and easily restorable, why not open Vegas with default settings, and then try a render? Maybe there is one setting change you've made that has a minimal effect of quality but increases render time by 10x or whatever.

To completely reset all Vegas settings, hold Control + Shift while starting Vegas.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...