Raid or more Ram? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Yes and Yes, and you can switch back and fourth from mt2 and smaller dv files anytime throughout to see whats happening on the full size files.
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #17
Trustee

wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Klidonas View Post
Yes and Yes, and you can switch back and fourth from mt2 and smaller dv files anytime throughout to see whats happening on the full size files.
dang... that sounds like a great app.... and seeing DSE's tutorial on it makes me want to give it a shot.... too bad I don't have any HD footage yet.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #18
Major Player

I just would like to know how one goes about adding plug-in effects to their original HDV footage using GearShift. This might not seem like a big deal, but when you have a large project on the time line, with many cuts, that include numerous plug ins through many shots, it seems like it might get complicated. No?
Glenn Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #19
Trustee

wow

duplicate post

Last edited by Jason Robinson; August 16th, 2007 at 01:54 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Glenn:

There are two functions of GearShift:

(1) It makes it easy to create proxies of m2t clips.

(2) It makes it very easy to switch between the m2t clips on a timeline and their DV proxies you made in step #1.

GearShift is essentially a script that swaps an m2t clip with the equivalent DV clip. It does this automatically for every clip on your timeline.

You do not have to render DV proxies in step #1. You can tell GearShift to render to any file format for which you have a codec. I've played a lot with the PicVideo Mjpeg codec, but concluded recently that the proxies are just not as easy to work with as plain ol' DV. The problem with DV is that going from NTSC DV to MPEG2 (for making a DVD at the end of the process) really kills chroma resolution, so in my final MPEG2 render I use the m2t (HDV) clips as the source. PAL DV doesn't have this issue--you can render to MPEG2 directly from the DV proxy.

GearShift also automatically handles the color space conversion between the HDV world and the SD world. Finally, it builds proxies in the widescreen format, so the resulting proxy looks nearly identical in the preview window (just a very slight horizontal shrink, and, of course, a large difference in sharpness). Every dissolve and color correction made to the proxy will be automatically made to the HDV source upon shifting back.

My first big project years ago was done with DV using Pinnacle's Studio7. Back then (2001) a 40GB hard drive was really BIG. In order to fit my entire project into it, I used a similar proxy process in Studio7. On final render, the program would tell me to load a particular DV tape in the attached camcorder, and it would spend an hour shuttling back and forth, finding the equivalent DV master for the lower-rez proxy on the timeline. It was a fascinating process to watch.

Keep in mind that there is a price to be paid for using GearShift--you need to render additional files, and that takes time and space. Still, I can set it up to render away while I'm off doing something else. No big deal.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...