Vegas wont build peaks for 85 minute .m2t captures at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Vegas wont build peaks for 85 minute .m2t captures

I'm using version 7d and capturing 85 minute hdv tapes as a single .m2t file, but when I import the media into vegas the audio peaks stop building at 73%. If I convert to cineform intermediate files it works ok but cineform files are too big and timeline performance isn't as good as using .m2t.
Old August 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Vegas is pretty touchy about the tiniest of errors in an .M2T file. I just run the file through a piece of freeware called "Mpeg2Repair" and the problem files load into Vegas just fine. You can get it here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG2Repair

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
Vegas is pretty touchy about the tiniest of errors in an .M2T file. I just run the file through a piece of freeware called "Mpeg2Repair" and the problem files load into Vegas just fine. You can get it here:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG2Repair

John
Thanks for the link John I'll give it a try..
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Major Player

I have been using Womble Mpeg VCR to do this fix. The only problem with the files fixed by the Womble program is that they preview inefficiently on the Vegas timeline after the fix. Is Mpeg2Repair any better in this regard?
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #5
Major Player

OK, I tried it out for myself. The answer is that clips fixed with Mpeg2Repair also have the same slow Vegas preview problems as they do when you do the repair with one of the Womble programs. On the bright side, Mpeg2Repair is free and a slow preview on fixed clips is way better than having Vegas crash all the time.

By the way, I have been told that if you use the real higher quality (and way more expensive) HDV tapes rather than regular DV tapes you won't run into these mpeg error problems, but I am way to cheap to try this.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Your friend has the facts a bit skewed.

The only real weakness of the HDV format, in my opinion, is that it uses MPEG2 as the delivery codec and a 15-frame GOP. What this means is that a single dropout on the tape will cause a 1/2 second freeze of video and audio, a significant problem when contrasted with a smallish "glitch" in DV mode.

People buy the more-expensive HDV tapes because those tapes have been certified as having fewer dropouts. But it's all relative. I've recently switched tape brands and am now using the blue Sony PRL tapes. In 40 tapes I have not yet seen a single dropout.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...