Vegas Pro 8 Suite to be unveiled at IBC 2007 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #16
Major Player

We'll I just loaded vegas 7 (an upgrade from 4) on my system so am I wasting my time on this (7) version?
Joe Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #17
Major Player

Price tag around 1200.00!!!

Better be able to strap it on and drive it for that kind of money..

If the price for upgrading from #7 to #8 is over $100, they can count me out.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #18
Major Player

I don't think anybody is wasting their time on Version 7 particularly because there is no release date on Version 8.

The $1200 price tag was merely speculation from one poster and hardly based on any evidence to suggest what the price will be.

Seems you should be able to pickup Vegas 7 pretty easily for about $350 right now. That combined with Cinescore + Sound Forge easily adds another $350 in legitimate value to the offering. Taking into consideration a small price increase, but a discount for buying the "suite" - I'd be willing to bet by the time the software is available, you'll probably be able to buy it for $600 - $700 via an upgrade or discounted pricing through retailers, etc. Sony isn't going to price themselves up with FCP. They need market share and will want to continue to service the price point they've always catered too.

Just my guess and two cents...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Don't drop the ball, Sony-- a lot of us have envisioned Vegas as an FCP-killer for many years. Cultivate this ground mindfully and give Madison et al what they need to grow this thing to potential.

DSE knows how to tantalize...
Michael Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #20
Major Player

Ripple edit..

I will pay any amount of money for an upgrade if Sony included a very clear way of knowing when "ripple edit" is in active or not.

I want the cursor to change to red or something when I'm in ripple edit mode.

I keep toggling with ctrl-L and suddenly I realize everything has moved and its ctrl-Z to a few hours back.

/magnus
Old August 16th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Magnus - good idea, in fact several of Vegas' ways of indicating whether a function is activated or not are much too subtle, colour wise, and therefore too easy to overlook or miss.

Personally I NEVER have auto ripple activated, to avoid unwanted effects like you've experienced - I always use Post Edit ripple to have manual control - Ctrl/Shift F, or, as I have it, a single button on the Contour Shuttle Pro.
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #22
Trustee

Cinescore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
Vegas Pro 8 video and audio production suite to be unveiled at IBC 2007:
(http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1184310547102)

-XDCAM HD workflow
-comprehensive HDV support
-import and edit support for AVCHD format
-many new features to increase productivity and enhance output quality
-DVD Architect 4.5
-Cinescore software
-Sound Forge 9 audio production suite with new multi-channel recording and editing capabilities
Hopefully they release a new Cinescore that allows more control over the creation process, allows video preview / playback while you are dropping in edit cues / temp & theme changes because Cinescore was pretty bad when I played with the demo of it. It felt like being in a car and seeing where it is going, but not being the driver, or you could drive but are wearing a blindfold so you can't see how your changes affect where you are going. No middle ground of being able to make changes WHILE seeing how it affects your video.

And also hopefully they improve the ability to use multiple cores so that systems with 4 or more cores don't see such diminishing returns on more than 2 core / CPU systems.

AND also hopefully the will make use of some of the new SSE4 instructions (which will eventually make its way into CPUs) specifically targeted to media content creation / encoding. And also hopefully they are going to make use the new technology in Vista Ultimate that allows the OS to keep a thread from bouncing between CPUs / cores which thrashes the shared cache or worse, in a multi CPU system, causes the entire thread & all its execution data / instructions to travel back out the BUS to a second CPU chip (waste's lots of FSB bandwidth and execution time.

And yet another wish list item is that they finall get some GPU driver support to either offload some rendering to the GPU, or to offload some of the effects previewing to the GPU while in preview / playback.

I have been putting of a system build until I knew if Vegas was going to be getting some better support for these new features.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #23
Major Player

Since y'all are wild speculatin'... I heard at NAB that Vegas 8 was going to be 64 bit. I can't say who told me.

Because I forgot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pace View Post
Don't drop the ball, Sony-- a lot of us have envisioned Vegas as an FCP-killer for many years.
DSE knows how to tantalize...
Umm... A FCP killer? Sony better get an OSX version first. Yeah, it works with bootcamp and parallels, but I don't think so. Let's get Adobe Premiere off those new Vaio's before we try kick FCP of it's own platform.
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #24
Regular Crew

One thing I would like to see (if it is not already there), is the ability to lock a track temporally to maintain sync to audio track. So when you select a piece of media and try to move it, instead of it actually moving the media clip, it moves that length of time around the clip.

That would be VERY useful.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #25
Inner Circle

What I really want is a GREAT chroma key solution. The original Ultimatte patent (additive chroma keying) has expired. Make use of it people!

The three A's (Avid, Adobe, Apple) have all developed or purchased nice chroma key technologies. Vegas 8 needs to catch up.

Hopefully, V8 will support more than 8-bits of video. I will be purchasing CS3 because of a short term need on a top quality project. Vegas 8 will be too late for this project, but hopefully V8 there for me next time...
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #26
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wheeler View Post
One thing I would like to see (if it is not already there), is the ability to lock a track temporally to maintain sync to audio track. So when you select a piece of media and try to move it, instead of it actually moving the media clip, it moves that length of time around the clip.

That would be VERY useful.
Maybe not part of this IBC Thread, but certainly part of wanting more for Vegas which may exist already . .

OK, if I understand you correctly, Robert, we do have this. And yes, it is very useful.

First off Vegas regards "lumps" of Media on the Timeline as Events - you and I would call them clips. These discreet individuals sit on a Timeline TRACK. These T/L tracks are themselves split into Video and Audio Tracks. So, a typical Video Clip is now an Event (Clip) and will have an Audio "Event" part as well as a Video "Event" part.

OK, getting back to your "wish" - hold down the ALT key and drag within the Event.

You will see your preview screen "split" into 2 mini sections/screens. The left section is the BEGINNGING of the new IN point and the right section is the END of the new OUT point.

And the Event still remains locked to its relative position on the Timeline. Is this your: "instead of it actually moving the media clip, it moves that length of time around the clip"

The next thing you should try out, Robert, is holding down Ctrl+Alt and drag that Event! You now get the Event rolling across the Timeline AND the Event rolling internally relative to its NEW Time position on the Timleine.

Vegas? Vegas ROX! C'mon 8 - Let's be 'aving yah!!

Grazie

Herts eh? Watford . . ?

Last edited by Graham Bernard; August 18th, 2007 at 02:48 AM. Reason: spelling and syntax sense!
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Motion Tracking would be nice....

I always have to motion track objeccts using AE ,Boris,or Fusion5..
I would be tickled if V8 or 9 would do MT..
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Ahh cheers Graham. Then maybe what I am looking for is an option to make that the default way to hand clips. I really like the idea of the tracks being locked in sync. I don't know they may already be practically possible.

I was also like a stablizing plugin. That would be very useful. And more deinterlacing options, and improved handling of HDV 50hz -> Pal conversions, so i can maintain interlace if I so desire.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
AND also hopefully the will make use of some of the new SSE4 instructions (which will eventually make its way into CPUs) specifically targeted to media content creation / encoding.
Probably unlikely. A subset of SSE4 won't appear in Intel CPUs until 1Q08 for laptops (Penryn) and 2H08 for desktops (Nehalem). For some reason, current CPUs with SSSE3 have been incorrectly listed by vendors and users as having SSE4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
And also hopefully they are going to make use the new technology in Vista Ultimate that allows the OS to keep a thread from bouncing between CPUs / cores which thrashes the shared cache or worse, in a multi CPU system, causes the entire thread & all its execution data / instructions to travel back out the BUS to a second CPU chip (waste's lots of FSB bandwidth and execution time.
I'm curious as to where this comes from - the Vista bit, I mean. The ability to tie a thread to a particular processor has existed ever since the first 32-bit Windows (NT 3.5) via the SetThreadAffinityMask() function. However, doing so can be problematic if you have multiple applications running that each decide to tie a thread to the same processor. Often, it is better to allow the OS to manage the assignment of thread affinity. Of course, giving the user the option to enable or disable the feature and/or specify a given processor would be best.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM   #30

hmmm...u can already lock the video channel to the audio channel, so I'm not exactly sure what Robert Wheeler is asking for.

as for price, we went thru this price angst last year before the release of V7. do we really have to go thru this again?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...