Vegas Pro 8 Suite to be unveiled at IBC 2007 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #91
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McManimie View Post
True, there is no button but the feature is still available to lock an event:
Edit -> Switches -> Lock
Wouldn't you consider the lock icon, when placed in the toolbar, to be a button? You can even select any number of events and lock them together with one click on the lock icon/button.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:53 PM   #92
Major Player

Absolutely; I negelected to mention that he can customize the toolbar. I meant the "default" layout. Regardless, I find it a non-issue. People seem to constantly point to things that Vegas is supposedly missing because they just do not realize that those things are there (and the Online Help and manual are quite thorough so I don't really understand why).

So, Gilles:
Options -> Customize Toolbar -> Select "Lock Event" on the left (under Available Toolbar Buttons) -> Click Add -> Click Close.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Pialat View Post
DSE,
My bigger wish (since Vegas4) is an overwrite mode and a track lock button. Two very basic features.
In the Sony forum, very few people asking for this and after seeing the V8 screenshots, I have no illusion: V8 don’t seem to have those features (so paradoxical for a product with “PRO” in his name…)
As a beta tester, please can you tell me if you know some editor using Vegas as a cutter (on long documentary project)?
How are they dealing with this lack?

TIA
Gilles
Why would you want an overwrite mode any more? Even Avid editors hate {b} overwrite mode, and few use it any more. There is an overwrite script icon that can be placed on the toolbar, but why on earth would anyone want to use it? CTRL+SHIFT+Q will insert a new track. Place overwrites on that track, which is the same method we teach in the Avid Media Composer and XpressPro training DVDs.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #94
Major Player

Spot, would you mind explaining what exactly this overwrite mode does?
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM   #95

Overwrite is an antiquated method of doing an insert edit, or placing a new video clip in the middle of an existing clip. So, you've got a primary video clip playing, and want to insert B-roll. In the old days, you'd do an insert or "overwrite" that would replace media in the primary video for the duration of the desired overwrite length. If you only had say...two video tracks and wanted to use one for titles and the over one for video, then an overwrite is necessary.
Basicly, it's merely a means of replacing sequential frames in an existing video event with new sequential frames.
Putting new media on a new track is much easier, and how even Avid recommends working in their Xpress and Media Composer tools.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #96
Major Player

No wonder I didn't know what it means; I avoid by all means available inserting a scene into an ongoing event. Sometimes there is a call for it but it's rare for me to allow myself one of those inserts. There has to always be a new place to go to instead of back to the previous one.
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #97
Regular Crew

Thx for your suggestion Paul & John, but :

-about Overwrite mode: Here one of my old thread in the Sony Forum.

-about track lock button: I know the event lock switch feature. I want a Track lock feature (very more handy on long project).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
Overwrite is an antiquated method of doing an insert edit, or placing a new video clip in the middle of an existing clip.
In my point of view (and many professional french editors), Overwrite mode is not antiquated. Adding track every time we need to overwrite event(s) complex unnecessarily the project.
After seeing your answer my conclusion is: there is very few real professional editor using Vegas (I’m talking about professional working on long project with many cut).
I really love Vegas, but it is time for me to look on another NLE.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:02 AM   #98
Regular Crew

So, if I follow your logic, because 1) you're a "professional French editor" and 2) you don't want to add an overwrite script icon or add a track, you're going to switch to a totally new NLE?
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #99
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post
So, if I follow your logic, because 1) you're a "professional French editor" and 2) you don't want to add an overwrite script icon or add a track, you're going to switch to a totally new NLE?
James,
I’m the guy who wrote the Overwrite Script, so this icon is already in my toolbar ;)
Unfortunately, this is not handy as a real overwrite mode.
When I say “I really love Vegas”, this means: I made lot of French tutorials, I’m a French forum moderator and I made lot of free scripts (multicam, photo montage etc…)
But no matter how I love Vegas, this NLE have incomprehensible lacks (I don’t want to explain it again. If you are a professional you should know why).
I will continue to use Vegas, but for long project with hard cut editing I will certainly look to another NLE with very solid editing features and AFF export to make project completion in Vegas (color correcting, compositing, titling etc…)

To DSE:
Do you remember who wrote: I'd rather see an overwrite mode than see 10 bit ? ;)))

Now, Vegas have 32-Bit Floating Point Video Processing, but no OM.
Old September 4th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #100
Major Player

The term professionalism is quickly changing in these Internet times, and I for one, am glad for this to be happening.

The days when the only filmmaker worthy of the title Professional was the one associated with the big, commercially important studio loaded with huge staffs, monstrous equipment warehouses and disgusting, man-eating bosses.

People who mentally tie themselves to this fading picture are depriving themselves of the future, where the best works will be coming out of the living rooms and basement offices of the new professionals.

To make my point, here is a link to what I am working on right now. It is just a bunch of clips ready to be picked up by a website designer to create a website dedicated to our movie. There are clips from behind the scenes and there are clips from the actual film and there are too many stills and word .docs of bios which you will perhaps want to skip. Just look at the video clips, if you are interested in the point I am making in this post.

www.paulfierlinger.com/TulipWeb/
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #101
Inner Circle

Someone claims to have already gotten a beta on Youtube (No, I'm not talking to the guys at VASST... but it is in the related videos for the VASST multi-cam sample video)

That video is honestly a lack of professionalism in the form of it's delivery. The keyframing's good, but other than that...
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #102

Jack, that video is likely from Sony Vegas Movie Studio 8. If not....it's terrible.
The ProTitler application would have been much smoother, and had better letter reveal. With the Protitler, a character, word, or line can be revealed at whatever pace you wish for.
Old September 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #103
Slash Rules!

Quesions:

What does the "32 bit floating point processing" actually mean? Will it make a visible difference if I"m still working in SD miniDV?

"Real time Audio FX" --- does this apply to events now, that is, will I no longer have to render a new file to apply an audio effect to a single event?

Anyone know cost to upgrade from VEgas 6?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Quesions:

What does the "32 bit floating point processing" actually mean? Will it make a visible difference if I"m still working in SD miniDV?
this one has been beaten to death over at this post..
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=102508
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #105
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
"Real time Audio FX" --- does this apply to events now, that is, will I no longer have to render a new file to apply an audio effect to a single event?
Where does it say real-time audio effects? If you are talking about this:
Quote:
Extensive Audio Effects
Apply over 30 customizable, real-time audio effects. Automate delays, reverbs, EQs and more with envelope control for each parameter. Use over ten automated effects such as Track EQ, Reverb, Chorus, Delay, Noise Gate, and Flange/Wah/Phase. 5.1 DirectX® effects for the master bus include EQ, Dither, and Wave Hammer Surround compression tools.
note that it does not say New!, which suggests that it is the old track level automation. Am I right?
Emre Safak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...