Vegas Pro 8 Suite to be unveiled at IBC 2007 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #61
Trustee

it's funny to see Blu-Ray supported... but not HD DVD... but then i remembered that sonic foundry is no more and that this is sony =P.

are there/have there been HD DVD authoring options or do those people have to go elsewhere?
Old August 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #62
Major Player

I noticed that the VASST site says, "Shipping Wednesday, September 19" for the version 8 training. Is that also the date that Vegas 8 will be released?

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fye View Post
I noticed that the VASST site says, "Shipping Wednesday, September 19" for the version 8 training. Is that also the date that Vegas 8 will be released?

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Nope:
heres Sony press release:

Vegas Pro 8 NLE Software Delivers Customizable Creation Tools Including ProType Titling Technology, Multicamera Editing, AVCHD Workflow and Blu-ray Disc Burning

(MADISON, WI - August 30, 2007) Sony Creative Software, a leading provider of professional video and audio editing applications, today announced Vegas Pro 8 software, the newest version of its award-winning nonlinear editing (NLE) software.

Vegas Pro 8 provides professional editors with precise control over complex DV, HDV and XDCAM projects through powerful tools for editing material shot in multi-camera environments. Vegas Pro 8 will be available September 10, 2007.
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu View Post
it's funny to see Blu-Ray supported... but not HD DVD... but then i remembered that sonic foundry is no more and that this is sony =P.

are there/have there been HD DVD authoring options or do those people have to go elsewhere?
First, the lack of HD DVD authoring has little to do with Sony or not.
Very little HD DVD support for authoring at this time on any front.
There is no Blu-ray authoring in Vegas 8 either.

The VASST Vegas 8 DVD volume couldn't go to the replicator until Sony cleared the Vegas 8 product announcements, and there is no way we could have them replicated en masse and have them shipping next week. We'd like to turn a fewK DVDs in less than a week....but it's not possible. NDA prevents the DVDs from being sent to the replicator until the product is announced.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #65
Major Player

I got the email and will happily be purchasing from Vasst within the next few days...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:11 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
There is no Blu-ray authoring in Vegas 8 either.
Argh!!!!!!!.......tell me your kidding?

I'm hoping you are just correcting my usual "got it wrong" statement i.e. when I said Blu Ray AUTHORING. Sorry...jumped without thinking what I was actually saying.

In my simple way of looking at things, I always class the authoring/burning stage as the same part of the process for me, which clearly they are not.

Sorry if i clouded the waters with that.

So....if, as it looks, I can BURN from the timeline, I'm a little confused. What options does that give me for chapter points/menu creation?

If you can BURN to Blu-Ray from Vegas then is there any need for DVD Architect other than for SD projects?

Last edited by Alastair Brown; August 31st, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:39 AM   #67

Authoring means one thing.
Burning means another.
Burning BD from/in Vegas is no big deal.
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:23 PM   #68
Major Player

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...?ReleaseID=668

Official Press Release.
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM   #69
Regular Crew

In depth breakdown of new features, including screen shots....

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ct.asp?pid=457
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #70
Major Player

So we still can't author and burn a blu-ray disk with DVDA. Wow, I really thought this would be in DVDA version 4.5. Why would someone want to burn a BD from the timeline? Archival maybe?

But I can't wait to try the new titler!
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:16 PM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Burning BD from/in Vegas is no big deal.
You weren't kidding:(

Blu-ray Disc Burning
With Vegas Pro 8 software you can burn a Blu-ray Disc directly from the timeline. Blu-ray Disc burning allows you to create a disc similar to a "single movie" DVD—the movie has no titles, menus, or buttons. Blu-ray Disc burning in Vegas Pro 8 software provides an alternate distribution option for high-definition content, rather than traditional file-based hard disk or streaming media formats. You can also use the Blu-ray Disc burning feature to create high-definition discs that can playback on a set-top Blu-ray Disc player or on a Sony PS3 gaming system.

I suppose we should be grateful for something. Ok....so now I say...this disc, is the main movie, this one is the goodwill messages, this one is the reprise and the fast forward/rewind buttons on your DVD remote are here!
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:24 PM   #72

By "no big deal" I meant it's very easy.
Tools/Burn Disc/Blu-ray disc/50i or 60i template, or whatever template suits your fancy.
Blu-ray authoring is a much bigger deal than you'd think. Some folks seem to think it's "easy" to do. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
The tools that are out there (like DVD Studio Pro, etc) that claim BD burning are doing the same thing. The spec only recently settled out, so expect to see more BD authoring tools shortly/soon from various vendors.
Having burned BD and played it back on my BD player, it's easy, fast, and sweet to look at.
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM   #73
Wrangler

Quote:
easy, fast, and sweet to look at.
Hehe, I'm sure there's room for a joke there Spot, but I'm quite sure it's beyond our posting guidelines. ;-)

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 06:29 PM   #74
Inner Circle

To be honest, basic burning, but no authoring will meet my goals most of the time. (I'm extrapolating from DVDs here - I'm thinking about the day that BD is more widely deployed.)

Often I just want to send a disc to friends or relatives with the latest cool thing. If they just hit play, rather than select menus - and I don't need to bother authoring - that's fine with me. It's also fine for an archive (though compressed.)

If I want to make a commercial product, yes, I need to author. But my ratio of informal to formal burns is probably ten to one.

Your mileage might vary.
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM   #75
Major Player

Now I'm just waiting for that "special" email from Sony Creative Software that will give special "upgrade" pricing for existing customers. Hope it comes soon. :(

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...