Vegas Pro 8 Suite to be unveiled at IBC 2007 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 31st, 2007, 09:40 PM   #76
Regular Crew

So what is the best flavor of Vista to run Vegas8. Any major draw backs to Home Premium? Will it run on 64 bit as the 32 bit Vista will only "see" 3 to 3.5 gigs of RAM?

Thanks,

Konrad
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Anderson View Post
In depth breakdown of new features, including screen shots....

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ct.asp?pid=457

Took a look at the screen shots. Am I missing something? - looks almost exactly like 7. Not a bad thing, I just thought I'd see more of a change to reflect some of the features.
Peter Plevritis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 02:07 AM   #78
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
So of the new features....

Looks like the most signficicant are..

ProType Titler
Multicamera editing tools
Blu-Ray Disc burning direct from the timeline
No-recompress rendering for long GOP HDV (wonder what that really means)

This looks more like an incremental upgrade rather than a huge change which frankly is a good thing..

I'd like to know how performance is going to be affected. If they can get 10-15% better performance, particularly with .m2t HDV playback after color correction, transitions etc then I'm sold...

Jon

Where does it say BluRay burning? I looked on the Sony site and I didn't see any mention of it. Ofcourse its late, I need to go to bed, and so I may have missed it. Thanks - PK
Paul Kepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 06:00 AM   #79
Trustee

Is the new DVDA going to have auto save???*#!!
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:05 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
To be honest, basic burning, but no authoring will meet my goals most of the time. (I'm extrapolating from DVDs here - I'm thinking about the day that BD is more widely deployed.)

Often I just want to send a disc to friends or relatives with the latest cool thing. If they just hit play, rather than select menus - and I don't need to bother authoring - that's fine with me. It's also fine for an archive (though compressed.)

If I want to make a commercial product, yes, I need to author. But my ratio of informal to formal burns is probably ten to one.

Your mileage might vary.
I'm basically in the same boat as you. I can do without the authoring just so I can have a BD. And it will still be sometime before I have a BD burner and player anyway. Maybe by that time Sony will have an interim relaase to DVDA to author BDs.
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM   #81
Trustee

i've read about the issues with authoring BD. it has to do with java and basically learning how to code java in order to author the BD disc. if you do not want to code, someone (like the vegas programming team) must create templates of codes so that we can achieve certain fx.

this means vegas9 might have BD authoring capability?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #82
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Plevritis View Post
Took a look at the screen shots. Am I missing something? - looks almost exactly like 7. Not a bad thing, I just thought I'd see more of a change to reflect some of the features.
Look at some of the sub-pages - you'll see a couple of Vegas screens you haven't seen before!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:45 AM   #83
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Plevritis View Post
Vegas certainly is not progressing at the same rate as the big guns (FCS2 is amazing, for example). For me the highlights of Vegas 8 are 32-Bit Floating Point Video Processing, Multicamera Workflow, and ProType Titler. Considering the titler should have been much better to begin with, I can't consider it an upgrade. I don't do multicamera shoots yet, but I hope the 32-bit float processing will make a visible difference. That's it for me...
Emre Safak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM   #84
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu View Post
i've read about the issues with authoring BD. it has to do with java and basically learning how to code java in order to author the BD disc. if you do not want to code, someone (like the vegas programming team) must create templates of codes so that we can achieve certain fx.
BD-J is necessary for the most advanced, interactive features, but it's not necessary. I believe that no Blu-ray title currently on the market yet uses BD-J. I seem to remember that Disney's "Cars" will be the first disc to include BD-J. It will list all makes and models of cars featured in the film, and will let you go to the scenes for each type of car.

At NAB I spoke with a Sonic representative. They were showing the pro version, which cost $5k. Their consumer version (not at the show) cost $500, and was similar to consumer DVD authoring packages (basic menus only.)

Considering that there are still no BD-J titles available, I don't know that the $5k Sonic package includes BD-J. It might be that you author Java in a separate tool, such as J-Builder or Intelli-J, and the Sonic tool lets you integrate the Java code. However, I believe that you can author basic animations and such without Java, but you need Java to implement interactivity over the Internet.

Anyway, I believe that there are these levels of authoring:
0) Burn only (like in V8, apparently)
1) Menus only (consumer grade)
2) Menus and animations (pro grade)
3) Menus, animations and Internet-enabled interactivity (advanced, with BD-J)
Old September 2nd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
Look at some of the sub-pages - you'll see a couple of Vegas screens you haven't seen before!
If you go by "look," then Vegas is the same as it was nearly 10 years ago. Changing the over all look and feel of an application is not only expensive and challenging, it's often bad juju. People get comfortable with an appearance and then don't want to learn a new workflow or layout.
There are many significant upgrades in Vegas8 from the Trimmer and Titler to under the hood/less visible changes. For instance, seeing a frame marker on every event is very useful/helpful, but certainly not a bullet point feature.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #86
Regular Crew

Perhaps the different "look" is from the changes mentioned by Sony:
"New in Vegas Pro 8 software are some radical advancements for customizing the layout and positioning of the traditional Vegas layout. The timeline can now be at the top or the bottom of the application. Docking window tabs can be at the top of bottom of the dock."
James Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 10:00 PM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Campbell View Post
Perhaps the different "look" is from the changes mentioned by Sony:
"New in Vegas Pro 8 software are some radical advancements for customizing the layout and positioning of the traditional Vegas layout. The timeline can now be at the top or the bottom of the application. Docking window tabs can be at the top of bottom of the dock."
Those particular options are already available in version 7.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM   #88
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
If you go by "look," then Vegas is the same as it was nearly 10 years ago. Changing the over all look and feel of an application is not only expensive and challenging, it's often bad juju. People get comfortable with an appearance and then don't want to learn a new workflow or layout.
There are many significant upgrades in Vegas8 from the Trimmer and Titler to under the hood/less visible changes. For instance, seeing a frame marker on every event is very useful/helpful, but certainly not a bullet point feature.
DSE,
My bigger wish (since Vegas4) is an overwrite mode and a track lock button. Two very basic features.
In the Sony forum, very few people asking for this and after seeing the V8 screenshots, I have no illusion: V8 don’t seem to have those features (so paradoxical for a product with “PRO” in his name…)
As a beta tester, please can you tell me if you know some editor using Vegas as a cutter (on long documentary project)?
How are they dealing with this lack?

TIA
Gilles
Old September 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM   #89
Major Player

If I understand you correctly, there is a lock button in tools, and to replace an event with another one, there is "replace" in project media, or to overwrite an event by another event at the timeline level there is the "Takes" feature. But maybe you have something else in mind since you say that you have been asking for this for a long time.

I am using Vegas to edit a feature film.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:39 PM   #90
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles Pialat View Post
DSE,
My bigger wish (since Vegas4) is an overwrite mode and a track lock button. Two very basic features.
True, there is no button but the feature is still available to lock an event:
Edit -> Switches -> Lock

To replace media: Right-click a file in the Project Media window, and choose Replace from the shortcut menu.

You can also use takes as Paul Fierlinger suggested.
John McManimie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...