Do I go with Vegas over Premier? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Do I go with Vegas over Premier?

I really want to get learning this post production and have downloaded a few trials, but not getting full use with them being trials, and can't really tell much about them, until I spend the time to learn them. I figure I need to make a choice and learn it, get some training media etc.

I do use photoshop CS2 so am used to adobe, but premier could be a different beast.

I believe Vegas is about $700.00 and I can upgrade to this Adobe Suite for $1000.00. http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/

If you guys had the choice which would you use?
Which one has the easiest learning curve?
Denny Kyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Trustee

I have both but I use Vegas almost exclusively. Vegas has everything I need. It's easy to use, intuitive, powerful, flexible, and has great support on this board and through JETDV and Vasst.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do, but for me, it's Vegas.
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have both Vegas and Premiere Pro 2.0.

This is hard one, but you might check out BH Photo. They may sell a Vegas 6 version that you can upgrade to 7 a lot cheaper...

I was a long time Premiere user. I finally got Sony Movie Studio Platinum when I first got my HDV cam.... used it because, at the time, Premiere did not edit in "native" HDV. It is a stripped version of Vegas. Began to learn it, and liked it more, but meantime I also upgraded to Pro 2.0.

So now I can edit in either using native or going to an intermediate Cineform file, using NeoHDV.

At this point, I think I would lean to Vegas. I have been doing more and more with it, and less with Pro 2.0.
Old August 13th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm another Premiere Pro to Vegas convert. It is just such a streamlined, quick, no-nonsense application that it pains me to think about how much time I wasted in the past. However, if you'll be using other Adobe suite apps in conjunction with your NLE, then you might want to stick with Premiere (though I use Vegas and After Effects and the biased part of me says, "Go with Vegas. You'll be very happy that you did!") :-)

Last edited by John McManimie; August 13th, 2007 at 11:14 PM.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've been a Vegas user since there were separate Vegas Audio and Vegas Video products. There are things I'd like improved, but overall it's been great.

And, I'll be adding CS3 to my tools for a project on my day job soon. Why? Because I'm doing a quality-is-everything job. For this I need more than eight bits of color depth. I also need motion compensated 50 to 60 Hz conversion, and I can get that, plus advanced frame rate plugs for After Effects. The other thing that you get with CS3 is "Ultra" for potentially superior chroma keys compared to Vegas.

But for most work, I'll continue to reach for Vegas first. It simply falls to hand. But I will be looking forward to having experience with another NLE.

Maybe Premiere will eventually earn my preference, but that will be tough. It's not because one product or the other being superior though. It's because of being a sort-of power user on one and a newbie on the other. The old dogs and tricks thing...
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Denny,

Get to Vegas Version 7 by buying this package at B&H for $250

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tware_for.html

Last edited by Duane Burleson; August 14th, 2007 at 09:59 AM.
Duane Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Major Player

Wow, you guys are great, at that price, I may end up doing both.
I feel vegas will get me going quicker.

Thanks everyone for the help this place is fantastic.
Denny
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #8
Inner Circle

And you expected!?

Kind of like walking into your local Chevy dealership and asking them if you should buy a Chevy or a Ford! :)

M
Old August 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
Kind of like walking into your local Chevy dealership and asking them if you should buy a Chevy or a Ford! :)

M
Probably right, but this section always has the most viewers and although probably biased, figured would get the quickest and most responses. Sounds like eveyrone uses Vegas sometimes so its worth learning.

Denny
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm a Vegas fan. I love the speed of the software, the scripting is nice and as mentioned above, there is a lot of support on this board.

But what is this Premiere people are speaking of? ;]
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Burleson View Post
Denny,

Get to Vegas Version 7 buy buying this package at B&H for $250

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tware_for.html
It just so happened I needed a few photography items anyways, so this package will be here tomorrow. :) Thanks for the link.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Probably right, but this section always has the most viewers and although probably biased, figured would get the quickest and most responses. Sounds like eveyrone uses Vegas sometimes so its worth learning.

Denny
Not too sure what you are basing "most viewers" quote on. Over all there are probably millions more Premiere users than Vegas. Just remember that where and how you ask the question determines the answer that you will get. It is like political polling questions, you can get them to come out any way you wish by how you phrase the question and who you ask, but I think you knew that and which one you preferred. :)

Best of luck with Vegas!

M
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:18 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Not too sure what you are basing "most viewers" quote on. Over all there are probably millions more Premiere users than Vegas. Just remember that where and how you ask the question determines the answer that you will get. It is like political polling questions, you can get them to come out any way you wish by how you phrase the question and who you ask, but I think you knew that and which one you preferred. :)

Best of luck with Vegas!

M
Mike, meaning that when you look beside each topic, shows how many are viewing.

You are also right, this is the one I was leaning torwards but also will not update my photoshop to CS3 until I have played with video editing in case I decide I want premier too.

Starting from scratch, will go with what seems to be the easiest to learn, then will see if I need anything more. :)
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Mike, meaning that when you look beside each topic, shows how many are viewing.

You are also right, this is the one I was leaning torwards but also will not update my photoshop to CS3 until I have played with video editing in case I decide I want premier too.

Starting from scratch, will go with what seems to be the easiest to learn, then will see if I need anything more. :)
Denny,

I know Vegas is a great program, so you will be happy with it. I think the initial investment is far less too.

If you were to ask this question in the Premiere Pro forum you probably would get a different response of course. They would probably mention the versatility of the CS3 production bundle. The integration of all of the different Adobe products with the bridge function is just amazing. After Effects is pretty much the industry standard, along with Photoshop. I'm still in CS2 and I'm ordering my CS3 soon. Saw demos at NAB and at a local showing and I have been trying to keep the drool wiped from my chin ever since.

Best of luck in learning. If you are like me and have trouble learning from books, check out training DVD's, CD's etc.. from different places. They tend to be costly, but will get you going much much quicker. There is also Lynda.com and Douglas Spotted Eagle may have some training stuff at the VASST site, one of our sponsors. Check them out.

Mike
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Denny,

Best of luck in learning. If you are like me and have trouble learning from books, check out training DVD's, CD's etc.. from different places. They tend to be costly, but will get you going much much quicker. There is also Lynda.com and Douglas Spotted Eagle may have some training stuff at the VASST site, one of our sponsors. Check them out.

Mike
I do not learn from books, takes me forever, but I do great with DVD's Online training etc. will go that route for sure. usually once I get into the program and learn the basics can left and right click my way to where I want to go.

Thanks for the info.
Also if anyone knows of some good online training info I can get my hands on tonight, would love it.
Denny
Denny Kyser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...