HDV to DV, and Combing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 14th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1

HDV to DV, and Combing

I have some HDV footage that I would like to convert to DV. I have tried this by opening it in an HD 25fps project, then rendering as a PAL DV Widescreen 25fps avi.

But I get this combing effect...

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...wobblycomb.jpg

Just wondering what the best way is to down convert... I've tried converting to MPG2...
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Johny,

If you make a lot of researches in the various video editing forums, you will eventually get many answers telling you this: (if you use Vegas and DVD Architect): Render as MainConcept MPEG2 but make sure you use the appropriate template "DVD Architect". There are 6 of them, 4 for NTSC and 2 for PAL.

I'm also shooting in HDV and rendering to DV (for now) and it's not as easy as I would like. Fortunately this workflow produces fairly good results without too much fuss.

Many other more experimented contributors to this forum will probably help you fine tune the settings or offer other possibilities. I'll watch for their suggestions too! ;)

Best regards,

Benoit Bissonnette
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #3

Yeah I've already tried that but it still gives me ridiculous combing effects... Rendering Main concept mpg2, PAL DVD Widescreen...
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Similar problems here. I try to use HDV footage from Canon HV20 and SD footage from Sony 2100 in SD timeline to produce SD video and I have problems with final rendered product - it shows well on computer screen but when played on TV, HDV footage is strobelike. When captured - by default SD footage is Lower Field First while HDV is Upper Filed First so when combined in SD timeline (Lower First) it will not work. I click on HDV footage pan/crop icon and right click to "Match Output"). It doesn't work. I posted it twice here but it looks like not too many people mix formats in their projects.
Any suggestions?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The fields in interlaced HDV 1440x1080 and Pal 625 lines fall in relatively different places. As the conversion works on a frame by frame basis rather than field by field basis you will get combing effects. So until they implement a field by field resizing solution, you best bet is to render the set your project to interpolate fields. Come to think of it, you may still get a true interlaced signal out of that if you maintain interlace in the encoder at the render stage.

I'm not sure, that is probably wrong. But you should lose your combing effects anyway.
Robert Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM   #6

Hmmm...

So I mean... for example I'm gonna in the future need to make HD versions and SD versions of projects, so I need a way of down converting cleanly...

And for this project I'm currently doing there's ONE HD clip that I need to down convert..

And nobody knows how to do it properly?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:16 AM   #7
Wrangler

it's kind of a workaround, but de-interlacing should get rid of it. this doesn't help if you absolutely need interlaced footage.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #8

The interlaced artifacts will not be seen on a television.
Open an SD 50i widescreen project (not 25p) and drop your media on the timeline. File/Render As/ DV Widescreen PAL.
That's it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...