DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Timecode question sony vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/101712-timecode-question-sony-vegas.html)

Martin Smith August 20th, 2007 11:41 AM

Timecode question sony vegas

just to clear things up I am not asking a question about adding a sony timecode display from within vegas.

Ok on to the question...

Capturing with the Canon xl2 and have it set to freerun timecode.
I see it running in the viewfinder and can verify that it is embeding itself in the playback of various clips all from within the viewfinder. so thats all working great as expected.

Now how do I view this embeded timecode from within vegas 7.0e
My goal here is to sync footage from 2 xl2's both running timecodes as freerun. It appears that within vegas there are a variety of ways to show the timecode of the timeline within vegas (length of a specific clip) but that is clearly not the embeded timecode.

So any help here is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Kujbida August 20th, 2007 11:50 AM

Apply the timecode FX to the clip while it's still in the media pool.
Then drag it to the timeline and you'll see actual tape timecode (as opposed to timeline timecode).

Martin Smith August 20th, 2007 11:54 AM

Awesome... that worked like a charm... now next question, whats the trick to finally render this without it displaying? should the effect just be deleted after sync and just before rendering?

Thanks for your fast response ;)

UPDATE.... turns out it doesnt work timecodes still always begin at 0:00:000 Im beginning
to wonder if this is even a feature in Vegas.

Mike Kujbida August 20th, 2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Smith (Post 731548)
UPDATE.... turns out it doesnt work timecodes still always begin at 0:00:000 Im beginning
to wonder if this is even a feature in Vegas.

I've done this several times (with 2 and 3 camera shoots) so I know it works.
Just to confirm, you applied this FX while the clip was still in the media pool, before adding it to the timeline, right? And it's the only FX applied so far?

Quote:

whats the trick to finally render this without it displaying? should the effect just be deleted after sync and just before rendering?
That's when I delete it. There's an add T/C to all media script that should help you in removing it faster if you have multiple clips.
BTW, if T/C has been added, it'll remove it, even if you didn't use the script initially.

Martin Smith August 20th, 2007 01:40 PM

yes, I added the effect to to the clip prior to dragging it into the timeline.

I noticed that the add timecode to all media clips action is dead on but there does not appear to be a way to remove it before rendering at least I can not locate where you would go to remove it.

Any advice? thanks again

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 20th, 2007 01:42 PM

Tools/Scripting/Remove all Timecode from Media

Bill Ravens August 20th, 2007 02:39 PM

Interesting discussion, re: embedded timecode.
Interesting because I've experienced that "freerun" timecode always resets to zero:zero:zero whenever the clip is stopped and restarted. Makes me a little crazi(er).

Now, having said that, I need to specify that I am referring to shooting HDV on my JVC GY-HD110 with the timecode set to "freerun". I'm also recording directly to a Firestore FS4HD in the "tapeless" mode. When I run with a tape in the transport, this doesn't happen. In fact, when I run with a tape in the transport, I get a sequential timecode that NEVER resets to zero, but, it's not connected to clock time, either.

Regardless of the method, I finally get why a clapboard is so important.

Martin Smith August 20th, 2007 05:00 PM

This was very helpful, thanks for all the answers, this will help make things a touch more possible. BTW somewhere online I read to timesync both (of the cameras) in my case 2 xl2's by going into the menu on the camera with the remote and resetting the timecode together via remote. this worked like a charm, not sure how accurate it would be over several days/weeks but the clock keeps running even without the main battery so more or less the timecode is on even when the camera off and in it's case.

Again thanks guys..