HMDI output on new video cards any good to Vegas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HMDI output on new video cards any good to Vegas?

Hi,

Would the HMDI output on newer video cards allow for accurate monitoring to a HDMI input on a HD TV, in Vegas 7?

Cheers,
Robert
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:34 AM   #2

Interesting question. I don't have a video card with HDMI on it, but would like to try one as a secondary monitor out. If you have one, output color bars an make comparisons. I'd love to hear a report.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I've got a Sony Blu-ray laptop with HDMI out, when editing with Vegas on it I use the HDMI output to a Sony Bravia TV for viewing the preview window and the colours are much more accurate than on the PC screen.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 03:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
... If you have one, output color bars an make comparisons. I'd love to hear a report.
I don't have one as yet, as I am just building a new system, but based on the replys here I will make sure I get the HDMI output.

Thanks,
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Spring View Post
I've got a Sony Blu-ray laptop with HDMI out, when editing with Vegas on it I use the HDMI output to a Sony Bravia TV for viewing the preview window and the colours are much more accurate than on the PC screen.
Tony, what is the model number of your laptop? I am thinking about investing in one for the same purpose, and have been looking at the Sony VGN-AR590E.

Are you happy with its performance? How much RAM?
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Good idea

Yeah, very interested here... but how about taking it a step further.... could one hook up two video cards, to power two 22 - 24" monitors for timeline and windows, and a second video card with hdmi out for monitoring HD on secondary monitor? Since BlackMagic isn't (yet) supporting the Intensity for Vegas... it seems like this solution would be as good... but I may be missing something, as I am not a tech expert. What do you guys think?
Mark Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

And OT

And can I just say, I love that DVInfo requires a real name for posting. Much more professional, and I think it discourages flame-like and derogatory posting.

Last edited by Mark Holmes; August 24th, 2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #8
Major Player

I'll agree 100% with Mark..

If you're not willing to state your full real name, then go somewhere else..

In regards to the HDMI thing, what video card do you plan on buying that actually has an HDMI out port on it?

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Major Player

You don't need a video card with HDMI output to drive the HDMI input on a LCD or plasma monitor. HDMI is really nothing more than standard DVI video with the audio delivered in the same cable using a different connector. I'm driving a Vizio VU42L 42" LCD at 1920x1080 using the DVI output of an nVidia 9750GT card. It works great and looks great. All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable, which are available just about everywhere, even Walmart. The DVI and HDMI connectors are the same gender, so you can use the cable for DVI > HDMI or HDMI > DVI.

I have two of the Vizio monitors and hooked both of them up as the primary and secondary monitors in Windows. Running Windows and Vegas on two 42" monitors was pretty darned cool. No eye strain there!
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

John, would love a photo of THAT setup...
...and thanks for that reminder of HDMI being the same as DVI...
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #11
Major Player

Mark,

I just hooked them up that way once simply because I could. I now have one each of the 42" monitors in two different editing suites. However, I liked it so much, I'm considering getting two more Vizio monitors and doing the dual 42" Windows monitor thing in both rooms. Then I can sit back in a big, comfortable recliner chair with a wireless keyboard and mouse and get some work done. I'll get a recliner for the client, too. Of course, it may be so comfortable that all I get done is some serious napping. Perhaps I should just forget it.

These 42" Vizio monitors are a terrific bang for the buck. $1,199 each at Costco. They are full 1080p and have a built-in HDTV/analog tuner with one composite, one S-Video, one VGA, two component and two HDMI inputs, plus optical S/PDIF out. They look pretty good out of the box and can look really good with some minor tweaking. Vizio also has 47" and 52" models. The 52" is only $2,299.

John
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #12
Major Player

Westinghouse digital also makes a 42" LCD (LVM-42w2
) that is full 1080p and has a DVI input to accept a direct signal. This can also be had online for about $1200 delivered.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
I'll agree 100% with Mark..

In regards to the HDMI thing, what video card do you plan on buying that actually has an HDMI out port on it?

Jon
I was thinking along the lines of ... for nvidia
http://www.hardwarezone.com.au/news/...?cid=6&id=8095

or going down the Radeon path..

http://www.hardwarezone.com.au/news/...?cid=6&id=7665
Old August 27th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Whoa there John........

In theory you are correct about DVI / HDMI being the same. In practice it ain't necessarily so, and anyone making "big bucks" decisions on that basis had better watch out.

There is, without doubt, a serious difference between DVI/ HDMI with some graphics cards. My partners laptop works a treat to our Sony Bravia screen (apart from not having the resolution to do it justice) but my Matrox graphics card simply refuses to O/P a signal the TV can recognise.

If you type "HDMI Problem" into Google, you will get 3,789 pages of stuff that attests to the problems with HDMI connection in general and DVI / HDMI connection in particular.

If your setup worked first time, straight out of the box, great. But I would NOT advise anyone to spend a squillion bucks on screens, thinking it will automatically connect and work with their DVI O/P from a graphics card.

I do know that many, if not most, graphics card manufacturers specifically state that operation of HDMI screens with their DVI O/P cards is not supported and certainly NOT guaranteed.

Why this is the case, I have, after many months of investigation, still been unable to discover. If anyone knows, they're keeping pretty damn quiet about it.

In the end, if there is the remotest possibilty that anyone might want to watch protected Blu - ray or HD DVD content on their PC, it simply does not make sense to go for the DVI option if the HDMI with HDCP option is availabe.

Just my 2 cents.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #15
Major Player

Hello

i was tempted to start a new thread for my question but due to the similarites i think it may be ok here. I have a Sony HVR-M10E deck being delivered soon and i want to be able to use it to monitor my footage from vegas on my high def samsung tv via hdmi. now to my knowledge i have a few ways of connecting my tv but im wondering which connection will give me the highest resolution/accurate picture reproduction for colour correcting etc. my options are:

vga from pc to vga input on my tv

composite out from vtr deck to tv

high def composite out from my deck (not sure what its called but im refering to the red, green and blue connections) to my tv

svideo from vtr deck to tv

or som sort of hybrid cable that goes from a red green blue connector from my vtr deck to a hdmi connection for my tv.

This is my first dilema, my next is to find out if i can view an output on more than one monitor at the same time (i mean tv monitor from my deck not pc monitors, i have a hi def tv and sdtv of which id like to have monitoring the vegas output at the same time)

Any input would be much appreciated.
Daniel Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...