HMDI output on new video cards any good to Vegas? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #16

You only have a few options for monitoring HD from the Vegas timeline.
HDMI from a card, Vegas set to secondary monitor
DVI from a card, Vegas set to secondary monitor
Component from an HD card ie; AJA
HD SDI out from an HD card ie; AJA

HD is not like DV in that you can expect the firewire out to go to a deck and have the deck do digital to analog conversion.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:43 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
In theory you are correct about DVI / HDMI being the same. In practice it ain't necessarily so, and anyone making "big bucks" decisions on that basis had better watch out.

There is, without doubt, a serious difference between DVI/ HDMI with some graphics cards. My partners laptop works a treat to our Sony Bravia screen (apart from not having the resolution to do it justice) but my Matrox graphics card simply refuses to O/P a signal the TV can recognise.

If you type "HDMI Problem" into Google, you will get 3,789 pages of stuff that attests to the problems with HDMI connection in general and DVI / HDMI connection in particular.

If your setup worked first time, straight out of the box, great. But I would NOT advise anyone to spend a squillion bucks on screens, thinking it will automatically connect and work with their DVI O/P from a graphics card.

I do know that many, if not most, graphics card manufacturers specifically state that operation of HDMI screens with their DVI O/P cards is not supported and certainly NOT guaranteed.

Why this is the case, I have, after many months of investigation, still been unable to discover. If anyone knows, they're keeping pretty damn quiet about it.

In the end, if there is the remotest possibilty that anyone might want to watch protected Blu - ray or HD DVD content on their PC, it simply does not make sense to go for the DVI option if the HDMI with HDCP option is availabe.

Just my 2 cents.

CS
I agree, which is why I would sooner recommend a LCD screen that features a DVI input. It's a shame so few do and I can't understand for the life of me why not. So many "big screens" are all still accepting the plain 15pin RGB VGA port. What gives!?!?!

It's either that or wait until graphics cards ship with HDMI out and also support HDCP.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
You only have a few options for monitoring HD from the Vegas timeline.

HD is not like DV in that you can expect the firewire out to go to a deck and have the deck do digital to analog conversion.
Thanks DSE, that was a big help. But, I was surprised that preview works at all while editing HD from the timeline with a SD TV connected by a S connection through my old SD camcorder connected by firewire. I know it's not displaying HD, but I'm just very surprised external preview connected in this conventional manner still worked and is usable for me.

Also on previewing HDV in real time, B&H recently published this article:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/find/n...-Real-Time.jsp

Last edited by David Jasany; August 27th, 2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Additional information
David Jasany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #19
Major Player

I have a Sony HDTV setup as a 2nd monitor. My video card has 2 DVI outputs. I bought a DVI to HDMI cable, set Vegas for secondary monitor preview and voila.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #20
Regular Crew

lcd preview

[QUOTE=Douglas Spotted Eagle;735012]You only have a few options for monitoring HD from the Vegas timeline.

If I had two monitors identically calibrated and I had an component or sdi aja card connected to one and used the HDMI output with vegas as a secondary monitor to the other LCD, would the output look identical on both?
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #21

colorwise, they should look identical. I have a crummy (OK, not so crummy) Sony Premiere monitor next to a Sony BVM20 with SDI, and they look very much the same. Texture is different, as of course you'll always see when a CRT is compared to an LCD.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:05 PM   #22
Regular Crew

By the way.

There are also some cards (nVidia and ATI/AMD) that do component HD out.

I'll try hooking the new Vaio FZ notebook to a Bravia XBR4 this weekend and let you guys know how the 1080 performance is.
Matthew Chaboud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cline View Post
Mark,

These 42" Vizio monitors are a terrific bang for the buck. $1,199 each at Costco. They are full 1080p and have a built-in HDTV/analog tuner with one composite, one S-Video, one VGA, two component and two HDMI inputs, plus optical S/PDIF out. They look pretty good out of the box and can look really good with some minor tweaking. Vizio also has 47" and 52" models. The 52" is only $2,299.

John
Got to love falling prices. I Just picked up the 42" Vizio 1080P at Costco yesterday for $1,099. I'm off to Fry's to get a Nvidia 8600 GTS today and the required power supply upgrade. I'll report back on how it plays with Vegas 7 and hopefully 8 in a week.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I was wondering if the old caveat about consumer TVs should apply here. Consumer grade TV, even LCDs, have circuitry to make the image look good. That is not the same as accurate. Is there a way to turn image enhancement off?
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad Haskins View Post
Got to love falling prices. I Just picked up the 42" Vizio 1080P at Costco yesterday for $1,099. I'm off to Fry's to get a Nvidia 8600 GTS today and the required power supply upgrade. I'll report back on how it plays with Vegas 7 and hopefully 8 in a week.
Do tell.. I'd love to hear what you are seeing with this combination...

Jon
Old September 7th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon McGuffin View Post
Do tell.. I'd love to hear what you are seeing with this combination...

Jon
I ended up with a nVidia 7900GS ($199 less $50 rebate) which required a new power supply (as will any "real" video card if your powers supply is 250 watts). It works perfectly using a DVI to HDMI cable. I'm not qualified to comment on "true" color but I like what I see and the clarity looks great with the card putting out a 1080x1920 DVI signal. The card also outputs HD component signal but I've not played with that.

I had no problems but I'm running a very main stream late model, major brand everything, all Vista certified config. Although for performance I'm going to install XP as a dual boot option. Then I'm going to run the veg tests on both OS which should be interesting.

Last edited by Konrad Haskins; September 7th, 2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #27
Major Player

I wouldn't expect you to get too much of a performance variation between the two OS's but if Vista is faster, I'd be surprised....

Where did you get the DVI to HDMI connector?
Old September 7th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
I wouldn't expect you to get too much of a performance variation between the two OS's but if Vista is faster, I'd be surprised....

Where did you get the DVI to HDMI connector?
Everyone has them. I got my cable at Fry's. Vizio sells them on their website from short to 30 feet long.
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #29
Major Player

I'm just wondering if there might be a quality/compatability difference between adapters, but maybe not...
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
I'm just wondering if there might be a quality/compatability difference between adapters, but maybe not...
Based on a lot of experience including 5 years with Microsoft Consulting & Premier Support I'm sure you can find a pairing that will not work. nVidia and Vizio are big players with the money to make sure the products work well.
Konrad Haskins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...