Converting HDV to DVPROHD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Converting HDV to DVPROHD

I would like to know if anyone has a proven and working workflow on shooting in HDV with a Canon XHA1 then editing it on DVCPROHD with SONY VEGAS 7. If this has been addressed before please direct me to the proper location of the information. The reason I want to convert to DVCPROHD is because i do most of my post work on After Effects, and since I haven't found a good way to export an EDL from Vegas to AE and mantaining all the Vegas info such as pan and crops, keyframing etc. I have tried cineform, and while it's a very good solution I had some problems rendering, I would constantly get error and my renders would stop midway...I did alot of color correction in Vegas in the past, alot of Magic Bullet, pixelan stuff, and after all that it would just hang on the rendering, I wasted weeks finding alternate ways to do it, and I had a project to deliver so I want to know if there is a good alternative through the DVCPROHD route.

Thanks in advance.
Ernanio Mandlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #2

In Vegas, you'd not be able to output the DVCProHD. Why would you want to? Going from a 1440 x 1080 frame to a smaller frame isn't going to help your vid in AE.
Additionally CineForm has grown up quite a bit over the past year.
Finally, why not go uncompressed if you're shifting from app to app?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

a topic that confuses me as well....My problem is a network, Cox Cable is asking for the TV show I direct in HD at 1920x1080i in the same codec you speak of. I countered with a file that it 1440x1080i since the max resolution of FX1 & 7's are 1440/1080i. DSE- Is anyone delivering TV masters to major networks from Vegas? Every time I try and have a tech talk with the studio geeks, they dont seen too thrilled about an HD end product unless, DVCproHD or XDCAM... We have had to render a 1440/1080i HDV back to tape and import into FCP for the codec and proper delivery to the station...Love to know how to get HD to television with HDV cams and Vegas 7??????
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4

the *only* way to deliver an HD product that I'm aware of (and yes, we've delivered masters to broadcast) is on HDCAM or D5. We have a local broadcaster here who was willing to experiment with us on HDD delivery, and although they have only aired one small piece for a news feature, it worked well. They're still experimenting. We've also delivered four XDCAM pieces to them.
A production company in Hollywood is using the V1U with Vegas and delivering a weekly in XDCAM.
Converting any higher resolution to DVCProHD is something we've avoided, simply because we can deliver HDCAM. I'm not a fan of taking an already highly compressed format and spatially dumbing it down. We did it on one project during NAB prep, and it wasn't the smoothest experience.
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
In Vegas, you'd not be able to output the DVCProHD. Why would you want to? Going from a 1440 x 1080 frame to a smaller frame isn't going to help your vid in AE.
Additionally CineForm has grown up quite a bit over the past year.
Finally, why not go uncompressed if you're shifting from app to app?
well, i dont mind working on a 720p image, it's more than enuf for me. all i want is not have rendering eternities on vegas due to hdv...or in other words, is there a cheap alternative to editing in hdv that works on vegas that i cn also send to AE? Uncompressed doesn't work for me due to space problems...any ideas?

EDIT: http://www.mainconcept.com/site/deve...ures-7775.html

Dunno if that would help?

Last edited by Ernanio Mandlate; August 24th, 2007 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Minor addition
Ernanio Mandlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #6

if you don't like Cineform, which is the *best* low weight means of accomplishing this, then sequenced pngs are probably the next best method.
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

is it possible to send out MiniDv tape with HDV file and have post house dup to XDCAM tape? In other words we dont have an XDCAM or Deck and probably never will...$$$ :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...