DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Embed clip name in output? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/102280-embed-clip-name-output.html)

Ian Stark August 28th, 2007 03:36 AM

Embed clip name in output?

In addition to my last question about the Edit Details table, I was wondering if it's possible to embed the clip or subclip name in the output file, in the same way that you can embed timeline and tape timecode.

I've looked for a script that might do this but nothing leaps out and says 'I can do that!'.

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Emre Safak August 28th, 2007 05:10 AM

You'd have to create a script that goes through the timeline for every track and generates Text Media for every clip. It shouldn't be that hard.

Paul Fierlinger August 28th, 2007 07:12 AM

This is something I could use all the time as well and would be happy to contribute money to someone who might be interested in writing such a script. Maybe there would be enough of us to join in and make this worthwhile to pay for someone's time.

Edward Troxel August 28th, 2007 07:55 AM

Adding a generated media text wouldn't help because you can't change the text via a script. However, you might want to take a look at the QuickLabel tool in Excalibur which does what you're wanting to do.

Paul Fierlinger August 28th, 2007 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 735543)
Adding a generated media text wouldn't help because you can't change the text via a script. However, you might want to take a look at the QuickLabel tool in Excalibur which does what you're wanting to do.

I should explain how I would like to use this. I receive SFX and music cues from my composer/sound man to incorporate into my timeline, which he identifies with labels. Since he is a Mac guy and uses FCP and I work on a PC I cannot send him an EDL but all he needs is a list of the SFX I have used so that he can emulate them in his timeline to make a final mix.

The way we work now, is that I make screenprints of my timeline from which he can read the text labels and placement of each sound event. Would using Excalibur help us out with a better way of sharing this information between the two of us?

Edward Troxel August 28th, 2007 09:01 AM

It will take the name of the event and create a "label" which is placed on the timeline above the event. Then when you render, the event name would be on the output. Whether or not that would help, only you can determine. If you want to see how it works, look at the "QuickLabel" video www.jetdv.com/excalibur

Paul Fierlinger August 28th, 2007 09:14 AM

Thanks, Edward; I took a look and it's not what I had imagined it would be but I can see how this would work for the originator of this thread.

Ian Stark August 29th, 2007 02:36 AM

That'll do it, Edward, thanks. I'll d/l the demo later today and explore Excalibur further.

Thanks again.