DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is it possible from the timeline? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/102402-possible-timeline.html)

Daniel Alexander August 29th, 2007 05:49 AM

Is it possible from the timeline?

Hello, does anybody know if it is possible to send footage from the vegas timeline DIRECTLY to a hardware DVD recorder and if so how would one go about hooking a DVD recorder up to your computer? I ask this question as i will be doing a few jobs for clients which means il be delivering video on DVD and as far as i can tell i from other posts on this site, it seems a hardware solution will give me noticable better encoding quality to DVD rather than doing it in vegas (to mpeg 2>dvda).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edward Troxel August 29th, 2007 07:11 AM

If the DVD recorder has firewire input, you may be able to go straight. If not, run it through a convertor and hook the DVD recorder to the convertor.

Computer -> firewire -> convertor -> analog -> DVD recorder

Then, in Vegas, simply do a Tools - Print Video to DV Tape.

Daniel Alexander August 29th, 2007 09:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, what do you mean by converter, as in maybe my sony vtr deck?

Edward Troxel August 29th, 2007 09:46 AM

Convertor = a video camera with pass-thru ability, a deck, or an actual convertor like the ADS Pyro or Canopus ADVC units

Daniel Alexander August 29th, 2007 02:48 PM

Oh right i can see how that could work actually, but i guess the big problem is if im burning something to DVD which contains chapters, menus etc

Edward Troxel August 29th, 2007 03:33 PM

Then I'd use DVD Architect to actually author the DVD instead.

Jason Robinson August 30th, 2007 09:30 AM

DVDA to the rescue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 736482)
Then I'd use DVD Architect to actually author the DVD instead.

I wouldn't trust direct playback from the timeline an way. What happens if your system gets the slightest little process hangup and freezes for just a few frames? Then our video, which is being burned in real time, has a few frozen frames.

Better to just render out to DVDA and then layout everthign there. Besides, you can do a 2 pass VBR in Vegas and get some great quality video.

Daniel Alexander August 30th, 2007 10:21 AM

that makes alot of sence actually. I've been editing a delivering video for years on tape but now mving over to DVD its like a whole new world, terms like 2 pass vbr is all new to me right now, i think its time i did a bit of research. Thanks for the advice

Mike Kujbida August 30th, 2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Alexander (Post 736907)
I've been editing a delivering video for years on tape but now mving over to DVD its like a whole new world, terms like 2 pass vbr is all new to me right now, i think its time i did a bit of research.

Have a look at Edward Troxel's excellent (and free!!) newsletters (PDF format).
I know he has a few that deal with DVD Architect.