How to move a single event with markers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Major Player

How to move a single event with markers

I have never been able to figure this one out. I have a single audio event with volume envelope markers in place and all I want to do is reposition it a little to the left or right to synch up better with the video clip.

No matter what I have tried so far, moves just this one event and its markers without effecting other events on the same timeline. I am certain there is a way, but I can't figure it out.

Advice please?
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Is "Lock Envelopes to Events" turned on? (It's one of the buttons on the toolbar and also accessible in the Options menu.) That should allow just that one event to move and the envelope to be adjusted the same.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Edward for helping out. What the lock button does is to lock only the right side parameters to the event and leave the left side where they were made -- that is, if I move the event to the right.

But when I move the event to the left, the left parameters first stay where they are and move left only when the right side parameters catch up with them. I thus end with the event having the right side parameters always correctly in place but the left side ones in the middle of the event.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Are the "left side ones" actually OUTSIDE the event?

I would say to try "ripple" but then other events would move too.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #5
Major Player

AHA! I figured out my mistake. I keep my normalizing points outside of the events. By normalizing points I mean the node that returns the height of the volume to default. If I plan on moving my events with the enveloped locked, I must make these points right at the edge of the event -- only what is on top of the event gets to be locked and moved with it.

Thanks again Edward for pointing me to that lock button.

EDIT: I was writing the above as you were posting your reply.
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #6
Trustee

bingo

That problem has caused more than a few head scratchers for me as I try to figure out why the didn't move. Some times I thought I had the markers on top of the end of the event, only to zoom in to the frame b frame level and notice that the envelope markers where just barely outside the media. Doh!
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...