DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Fine tuning clip length? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/102461-fine-tuning-clip-length.html)

Robert Brandon August 29th, 2007 11:57 PM

Fine tuning clip length?

Im making a video that syncs to music, and I am unable to fine tune the clip lengths to land directly on a beat. It seems to snap to all the smallest marks at the top of the timeline. Im not sure if these are frame marks or what. Is there some way to make really small adjustments ON the timeline. Hope that makes sense...

Glenn Chan August 30th, 2007 12:05 AM

Tap out the beat with markers.

Enable quantize to frames.

Your clips should snap to the markers. It's a little easier in Vegas 7.

I believe it's possible to disable snapping to the grid thing.

2- The numpad keys allow you to edit in increments of 1 frame. In case your markers are slightly off.

Seth Bloombaum August 30th, 2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Brandon (Post 736694)
...Is there some way to make really small adjustments ON the timeline...

As Glenn mentioned, keep "Quantize to Frames" *on*. This keeps you cutting between frames. At about 1/30th of a second per frame for video in the US, this is as good as you can do for sync. But it is good enough.

Zoom in to the timeline to assure that you are cutting as finely as you can, by using the up-arrow key or the mouse wheel. Then drag event edges for fine editing.

Glenn's suggestion of dropping markers on the beat is a very quick and handy way to cut picture to music. Just play the timeline and hit the m key in time to the music.

Robert Brandon August 30th, 2007 04:46 PM

I cant seem to figure out where to turn on the quantize to frames feature. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, when you say tap markers on the beat, do you mean markers on the timeline, or on the actual music track. Sorry for the newb confusion:)

Seth Bloombaum August 30th, 2007 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Brandon (Post 737133)
I cant seem to figure out where to turn on the quantize to frames feature. Can someone point me in the right direction?...

Quantize to Frames is the first entry on the Options menu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 736911)
...Just play the timeline and hit the m key in time to the music.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Brandon (Post 737133)
...when you say tap markers on the beat, do you mean markers on the timeline, or on the actual music track. Sorry for the newb confusion:)

No worries.
a) put the music track up in the timeline
b) play the timeline
c) hit the m key in time to the music

Use ctrl-left arrow and ctrl-right arrow to navigate between markers. Use shift-ctrl-left (or right) to select the area between markers.