Fine tuning clip length? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fine tuning clip length?

Im making a video that syncs to music, and I am unable to fine tune the clip lengths to land directly on a beat. It seems to snap to all the smallest marks at the top of the timeline. Im not sure if these are frame marks or what. Is there some way to make really small adjustments ON the timeline. Hope that makes sense...
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Tap out the beat with markers.

Enable quantize to frames.

Your clips should snap to the markers. It's a little easier in Vegas 7.

I believe it's possible to disable snapping to the grid thing.

2- The numpad keys allow you to edit in increments of 1 frame. In case your markers are slightly off.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Brandon View Post
...Is there some way to make really small adjustments ON the timeline...
As Glenn mentioned, keep "Quantize to Frames" *on*. This keeps you cutting between frames. At about 1/30th of a second per frame for video in the US, this is as good as you can do for sync. But it is good enough.

Zoom in to the timeline to assure that you are cutting as finely as you can, by using the up-arrow key or the mouse wheel. Then drag event edges for fine editing.

Glenn's suggestion of dropping markers on the beat is a very quick and handy way to cut picture to music. Just play the timeline and hit the m key in time to the music.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I cant seem to figure out where to turn on the quantize to frames feature. Can someone point me in the right direction? Also, when you say tap markers on the beat, do you mean markers on the timeline, or on the actual music track. Sorry for the newb confusion:)
Robert Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I cant seem to figure out where to turn on the quantize to frames feature. Can someone point me in the right direction?...
Quantize to Frames is the first entry on the Options menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
...Just play the timeline and hit the m key in time to the music.
Quote:
...when you say tap markers on the beat, do you mean markers on the timeline, or on the actual music track. Sorry for the newb confusion:)
No worries.
a) put the music track up in the timeline
b) play the timeline
c) hit the m key in time to the music

Use ctrl-left arrow and ctrl-right arrow to navigate between markers. Use shift-ctrl-left (or right) to select the area between markers.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...